Remington 870 SuperMag Shotgun

The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Remington 870 SuperMag Shotgun

Post by The_Captain! »

I have a 1 year old 870 with very few shells through it. I had to send it back once already for repairs when it jammed after only a few shots. :roll: ( 2 to be exact, kept jamming after 2 shots) :roll:

After that 'incident'... it has performed flawlessly. Except when I try to cycle 3 1/2" through it. If I load 2 magnum shells the first goes though but the second gets stuck with the 'magazine lever?' (the lever on the bottom of the receiver that is pushed down to put shells into the magazine) wedged so that it can't move forward and up to the shooting chamber.

3 inch shells work fine. If I put a 3 1/2" in the magazine and pump the action it goes through... its just the second 3 1/2" shell. And I'm sure I'm not short-pumping as I've tried to eliminate that as the problem already.

Any ideas?

If I shoot a 3 1/2" FOLLOWED by a 3" it works fine.... its only when I try to shoot consecutive 3 1/2" shells that it jams.
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Not to be rude Captain ...but it is chambered to take 3.5 shells? If it is not a 870 Super Magnum, I do not think it is. If it is only a year old should be good, but Remmi still do offer the 870 in a non magnum version. Just checking because that could be dangerous to you.
H&S
The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Post by The_Captain! »

Yes, its the Super Mag and can take 3.5". Just such a strange prob thought maybe somebody had any ideas as to what it could be.

Works fine with the 3" just not the 3.5"...
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Isn't it that the plug (the stick in the magazine which limits the number of shells to two) is a tad too long? Take it out and shave some off. See if that works.

Maple
TMH
Participant
Participant

Post by TMH »

Gunco
190 Colonnade Road
Nepean, Ontario Canada
K2E7J5

Phone: (613)224-6266

Place will fix the problem
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

It may need to be oiled up I have the same gun I shoot 3.5 all the time it works fine but the plug thing could be a start
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Sometimes the chamber gets too "hot" after pounding out magnum loads and causes swelling. This can and does cause jamming for me.

Try using a different load. I switched over to BlackCloud and Federal from using the rounds from LB's, Wal-Mart etc.

Keep in mind NOT all ammo is the same even if it does have the same name. I learnt this through my gunsmith.

The big stores drive the manufacturers to produce cheaper rounds in order to be able to sell them cheaper through the stores.

I was having an issue with my Walther .22 pistol. I was using the Winchester Super X rounds that I was buying from LB's. They worked fine with about 3 duds from a box of 50. I thin bought some from my local Crappy Tire. Low and behold they were ALL duds! Using my .22 pistol and my .22 rifle.

I would suggest that before you start pulling a gun apart, going to GUNCO etc that you switch ammo or the source where you get it.

It worked for me!
The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Post by The_Captain! »

Thanks all,

I removed the plug entirely when the problems started so its not that and it has jammed with a cold barrel (2 shots only) so its not a barrel swelling. Plus, it ejects fine, its just the loading of the next shell that jams before it is lifted into the chamber.

I've only tried the Winchester Xpert High Velocity 3.5" so I'll try a different brand asap.

Its really too bad that the good rep of Remington's 870s is just being destroyed with these new years of shotguns.