Moose hunt '09

Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Moose hunt '09

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Moose hunt ’09 is in the books. We headed up 9:00pm Friday night to arrive around 10:00am Saturday. Being the eager beavers we are out we head for our first hunt. It was drizzling for most of the first couple days which was unfortunate, it just made it miserable but we endured.

Our first two days would reveal two not so good signs to us. First off, no fresh sign what so ever. This seemed to be what everyone was experiencing, so much so, many camps pulled out mid week they found it so bad. The second was there were far too many ATV’s running around. I had mine but I like it to get me where I want to go then I like walking into swamps etc. My neighbor, who always joins me on his bike, likes to ride more, he is 65 after all but, I think it was detrimental to our original goal.

About day three things started to get much cooler which we liked. We were hoping it would get the moose moving more. It seemed to help but not quite enough. The whole week saw no one in our group seeing anything until the last morning. My neighbor and I decided to get out early as we did every morning so we were ready to trailer the bikes the 35 kms to the spot we would unload the bikes then continue to a nice spot I had found with some of the freshest droppings and tracks we had seen all week. This area also proved to be fruitless.

Anyway on our way down about half way, the neighbor decides he wants a smoke so we stop the truck for 10 minutes and he has his smoke then off we go. We get about 30 yards and this huge cow roars across the road at full trot. You didn’t have time to pop the door open. It was across that fast.

We stopped the truck and bailed out, shut the truck. You could hear her leaving and as it wasn’t light enough, couldn’t see 20 feet into the bush. Oh well at least we saw our target for the week, albeit on the last day. We had a cow tag.

We spent the entire morning trying to encircle her; just the two of us as the others were all back at the camp, sleeping off the night before.

The birding was great as I had the hot hand shooting 22 of the 45 or so taken. Most were Ruffies with a few Sprucies thrown in, no Sharpies this year. Here’s one of my hauls.

Now seeing the moose was nice but this was super cool too! It was about 15-18 feet from us. I fumbled far too long to get the camera but managed to get a couple seconds worth. My knapsack was strapped down for the first time all week as we were on our way out of a cut the very last night, heading to camp to pack for home. It's a Lynx.

On the way home, we come over a hill and the whole highway is blocked with a trailer, Police cars, MNR trucks, Ministry of Revenue, Ministry of Transport vehicles and one other group I can’t remember. Of course our truck, of our 3 vehicles got selected as “the one to check” which delayed us a half hour but was quite interesting to stand and watch them do their thing with others as we were searched.

Hope some of you fare better in the Moose dept.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

That's some helmet you got there fella...do they have an astroid problem in that area? :lol:
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Great report!
Too bad no moose, but seeing them is always awesome. You can't complain getting a roast pan full of grouse either, yum.
Getting a glimpse at a lynx is pretty cool... I still tell stories about a wolverine I saw a few years back.
TackleBuster
Participant
Participant

Post by TackleBuster »

I've been hunting for 35 yrs, only saw lynx once, and that was at night on hwy. 101. Very cool.

Nice haul of grouse. As much as I like moose hunting, I always look forward to grouse hunting.
The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Post by The_Captain! »

Awesome to get a shot of a Lynx!

My cousin's hunt camp only got one moose this year... they said they saw little signs as well.
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Hi All,

I'm looking for grouse hunting land close to Ottawa.
Becouse it's first time to me.

ASK
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Markus wrote:That's some helmet you got there fella...do they have an astroid problem in that area? :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Great report WIG! I can only imagine what you had to say about too many 4 wheelers runnin' around in the bush.

The short clip of the cat was cool.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Markus wrote:That's some helmet you got there fella...do they have an astroid problem in that area? :lol:
I didn't care what I looked like, too many fools with guns in the bush.. :lol: :lol: