Gun Registry Opinions?

Are you For or Against the Gun Registry?

For?
3%
Against?
86%
Neutral?
10%

Total votes: 29

Buck Fever
Participant
Participant

Post by Buck Fever »

The_Captain! wrote:
Buck Fever wrote:Well to me it is pretty simple. Criminals won't register their guns! And even if they did, how will a piece of paper stop them from using it in a criminal activity???
Absolutely true!

The registry will however stop known criminals from legally buying guns. That's about all though... at least its something.
The_Captain - It isn't the Registry that is stopping the known criminals from purchasing a gun. It is the licensing (Purchase Acquisition License) that does. There is alot of confusion between licensing and registering of firearms. The licensing determines if you can buy or borrow a gun (and ammo). The registering only attached a name to a serial number on paper.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

If the registry is such a smashing success that law enforcement officials pretend it to be.

The why not open up a drug registry, that way only people who are registered and licensed to purchase and possess drugs will have them.

Registration is ownly for law abiding citizens
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

This registry has spent billions to basically set up a big bungaling money wasting government department to keep track of and hassle law abiding citizens, hunters, farmers etc. It has not stopped any crime and never will.
I dont know how anyone could support it
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

TLunge wrote: I dont know how anyone could support it
It might cost more to shut it down that to keep it running... MUCH more... severance packages, lease buy-outs, etc, etc... Last thing I want is something that costs $20mill/year to be shut-down for $2billion dollars of cost... Maybe that's not exactly supporting it, but opposing additional wasted dollars...
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Hookup there is something wrong with your numbers, its more like 200 million a year to run the registry. Total cost is over 2 billion so far when we were told the total cost would be 2 million. So it has cost 1000 times more than we were told. Time to shut it down now and cut our losses, there is no possible way that keeping it running can save us any money
The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Post by The_Captain! »

I guess what I wanted to say about my examples was that we do have it good here in Canada. My uncle in England is a totally legal shooter and shoe-in for the Olympic team, or he was anyway last time, point being, he's legal and he runs a Post Office, but still he has to store all his guns at the shooting range and can't bring them home as far as I know. No choice.

Mu buddy was deranged on his front lawn... he's registered... the cops asked about guns but were told they were locked up... end of story...they didn't look or ask anything else... I like that.

All I want to know is why guys hate the registry... so far I don't... but I'm not for it either.

Another buddy lost his FAC and 2 guns because they were unregistered with ammo everywhere in the car (shells in glove, center console, trunk) ... along with prohibited substances. A small amount cost him his hunting for years... the main issue turned out to be that the guns were unregistered... not the drugs.

He got off completely on the drugs ( uh, why? Caught red-handed?...)
but was banned on the FAC? Huh... should he not have been convicted on actual seized banned substances verus legal things that he actually had a license for (FAC) but weren't registered put of sheer laziness?
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

TLunge wrote:Hookup there is something wrong with your numbers, its more like 200 million a year to run the registry. Total cost is over 2 billion so far when we were told the total cost would be 2 million. So it has cost 1000 times more than we were told. Time to shut it down now and cut our losses, there is no possible way that keeping it running can save us any money
Yes, likely my numbers are way off base... point was simply if it costs less to maintain the problem than shutting it down, i'd be for the CHEAPER option, only cause it's not overly painful to deal with the system as-is.

Is the program useful - not that I can see.
Was it a good way to spend tax-dollars - not that I can see.