Deer Hunting...Problem

ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Deer Hunting...Problem

Post by ASK »

Dear All,

My story is,,,

Three days ago I went to larose forest for deer hunting at morning and I was looking for deer trail, after that I found deer steps and some of branches broken around and scratching near that.
After that I left around 10 pound of apples in this place.
Today and yesterday I went to this place and I sat but nothing happen.

My questions are:

1- Any wrong in my arrangement.
2 - Doesn't this deer steps mean anything.

Thank for any advice

ASK
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Could be time of day etc...

Deer hunting is hit and miss....
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Some times I will check my trail cam after 3 or 4 days and have 500 pics of deer and other animals. Drop off more apples and come back 2 days later to find that the apples have not been touched and no pics.

In fact, the last time into my stand, I was late getting in, and shouldn't have gone in. I spooked the 8 pointer that I have been playing cat and mouse with for 2 months and have not seen him since.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Is baiting a spot legal again during the hunt??? I thought it was not allowed except for the two weeks before the hunt??
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Try doe blet and and a sent stick ect because the young does come in heat later in the year
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

You know I can not even find any info about baiting for deer. Am I smoking something or was there a law on this before??
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

There is no law for deer that I'm awere of
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Pete, the only thing in the regs about baiting is regarding wild turkey, in which you must not bait durring the season and the 2 weeks prior to the season.

But we all know that the deer are not stupid, and know humans are bringing the apples. I don't hunt over top of the apples, I am sure the big buck circles the area before coming in to eat the apples. Just use the apples and trail cam to verify what deer are in the area. It has helped me a great deal, in selecting stand locations.

I can't find a reg stating that baiting deer is illegal either, but imagine it is more an ethical thing.

Lots of articles out there to read that will tell you, not to hunt your food plots, watering holes and bedding areas. But do hunt the known path between these.

Maybe following these guidelines, and not sitting over top of my food plot is the reason the big buck has not fell victim to the Excalibur Vortex yet.
tinman454
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

fur or feathers???

Post by tinman454 »

Heres the easy way to rember if it has fur you can "bait" if it has feathers you cannot bait. cheers terry.
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Loool

It's funny.

ASK
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Were the apples gone? Was there a trail or just a couple tracks? Was the wind in your favor in regards to the trail? There could be a lot of factors, one being that Marlborough forest likely got pounded with hunters for 2 weeks not long ago, that will definitely make the deer a little nervous and a lot more careful. Hunting deer is not always easy they are a smart animal. You can't expect that just because you found tracks your going to be able to shoot a deer.
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Hi Orrsey,

Thanks for your advice.
Now I'm hunting in the Larose forest close to grant road.
Tomorrow I'm going to a deeper in this forest, I hope that I have a good harvest.

ASK
pikefisher2009
Participant
Participant

deerhunting problem

Post by pikefisher2009 »

good luck with all the new logging ,i was up there last week and seen all the logging ,couldnt beleive it.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

A lot of folks near here (Kingston) are finding that the deer have been pretty much nocturnal for the last few weeks. So yes, getting deeper into the woods might give you a chance at a deer coming out later to feed. Assuming they do not feed (on browse, mast etc) deep in the woods near their bedding areas........

The only predictable thing about deer is that they are unpredictable.

Doug
The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Post by The_Captain! »

Larose is a tough place to hunt. Lots of activity... hunters, loggers, hikers, bikers, lots of people etc.

There are lots of deer in there though...

Cheers