Crow bustin' with Jr.

Roughneck1860
Participant
Participant

Crow bustin' with Jr.

Post by Roughneck1860 »

Me and my oldest son got out for another day of Crow busting on Saturday. It wasn't a stellar day but we ended up with a TBC of 33 for just over and hour of shooting. The wind was off some for the spot we chose but the birds that came in came in hard. We've got some snow falling now and its supposed to keep at it until Tuesday morning so I'm hoping tomorrow morning with the wind they are forecasting will make for a good hunt. Here's a couple of pics from Saturday.

Good Shootin'
Tim

Jr. with his pile

And Me with mine
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Wow! Nice shooting boys!
You must have a good system going, crows are tough to shoot
Roughneck1860
Participant
Participant

Post by Roughneck1860 »

We have a spot along a flyway in and out of their night roost. We also use a some Crow silhouettes, a mojo Crow, a full body owl and an e-caller to bring them in. Sometimes the action can get crazy fast and other times , like yesterday, it can suck large. It just depends on wind direction and the weather.

Good Huntin'
Tim
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Yes they seem to lose it when they find an owl or a hawk dont they.
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

Used to shoot crows when I lived in Illinois. Used an owl decoy, when one crow would find the decoy, there would be 50 or more within a half hour.

Billy Bones :D
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Congrats Guys .....

Keep shooting those damn annoying / useless / serve no purpose in life / creatures ......

:wink: 8) 8) 8)
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

so what do you do with the crows? just chuck em?

I'm new to hunting... Just asking the question.

BeaArthur
Panfisher
Participant
Participant

Crow bustin' with Jr.

Post by Panfisher »

Bird Addict wrote:Congrats Guys .....

Keep shooting those damn annoying / useless / serve no purpose in life / creatures ......

:wink: 8) 8) 8)
Everything in nature has a use/purpose in life. Whether that be annoying or not.

Species only become a problem when they are out of balance with their environment.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Everything in nature has a use/purpose in life. Whether that be annoying or not.

Species only become a problem when they are out of balance with their environment.
That may be true but crows should be thinned out heavily at any opportunity and there are good reasons for this and also an all year open season on them with no limit, same goes for starlings, house sparrows, grackles, red winged blackbirds and a few other species that are always over-populated.
These nusance birds can be left in the woods to feed other crows or ideally saved up in a big bag in the freezer and put out to feed winter birds in mid winter if possible.
Happy plinking :D
Roughneck1860
Participant
Participant

Post by Roughneck1860 »

Down our way we have so many crows that at times they really do some damage and make a mess. Last I heard there was 60,000-80,000 roosting locally. Back in the '80's it was around 150,000. Since they opened the ethanol plant east of here many birds stay there for the corn in the area. As for what we do with them......they keep the Coyotes and Foxes fed well.

Tim