Bow Hunting Turkey

fish and hunt
Participant
Participant

Bow Hunting Turkey

Post by fish and hunt »

Hey guys,

I plan on bowhunting for turkeys this year and was wonderring who has bowhunted for turkeys before, and if so what type of heads you prefer (ie. fixed or expandables for body shots, or the bullhead, etc, for head shots) ? Also, for those of you who shoot compound, have you had any success without a blind?

Jordan
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

Good luck minimizing your movement along with calling"

Still a great feat; )

Good luck!
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

From a pop-up blind I used my crossbow one year. Had ordinary three blade broadhead. Missed my turkey while it was running away from my decoys after I got busted.

It's possible to do, have friends that have harvested with crossbow and compounds, all from inside their blinds.

Good luck.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

I have tried using the MQ1 for several seasons a while back. I was shooting 100g expandables (NAP spitfires). It can be done. but it's a whole lot easier to screw up than get right.

Know the distance to your decoy.

Learn to get good with a diaphram call. It's OK to get things started with a box, glass or slate call.........but ya gotta finish the deal with a mouth call, you only have two hands and they are both busy with your bow.

If the gods are nice, you'll ge a single bird coming in.

Try to get a "drawing tree" between you and the decoy, a tree on either side is best. I prefer to set up inside a wood lot as apposed to setting up on the edge of a wood lot and field.

Know the distance to your decoy.

Good luck with calling and drawing your bow,
DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Practice drawing and shooting your bow from your knees it will help you immensely when run and gunning. There is the old Ford Chevy debate over what is best for blades and where to hit them. Majority use broad heads for body shots, hitting a head and neck at 25 yds. the thickness of a bat handle......
H&S
fish and hunt
Participant
Participant

Post by fish and hunt »

Well I like to think I am good with the diaphragm (only the turkeys really know haha), its worked for me on a few occassions.

I have shot s few with the shotgun, but would like to try the challenge of getting one with the bow, which I have taken quite a few deer with now.

I just upgraded to a new bow last fall (the old one is for sale if anyone is interested), and the new Hoyt is a tack driver so Im hoping I can make it happen this spring.

Thanks for the responses guys
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

I've only scared the crap out of several (5 or 6) turkey. Several at close range with no excuse other than "turkey fever??"....

I'm a huge fan of mechanical broadheads.... But until I actually take a bird down my advise is limited...

Fingers x'ed this year...

I've done it from a blind and from "cover". A blind works well and you are pretty invis. Cover was much harder...

One time I was never able to draw and had to watch for 30min while the jake walked around waiting for me (the hen) to come out to him. He never went to full-strut so I was never able to draw-down on him. The other time I was hunting a trail and was able to setup-off the trail with good cover... when the turkey walked into my opening I was already at full draw...

Just sharing some stories I guess... have fun.
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

good advice re the drawing tree.. but good luck figuring out where they will actually come in from:) my great setup p[lans usually end up with the tree in my way of a good shot:) ... I have taken several birds now with the bow... I found the key to stop calling.. they know where you are and calling when in close really draws the attention away from the dekes and to you, making it harder to draw... regardless of the result, awesome to have the bird come in..
fish and hunt
Participant
Participant

Post by fish and hunt »

Im with you on the stop calling advice. when hunting fields I stop calling ususally once they are in sight of the dekes. The only time id consider it is if you wanted him to go out of strut and stick out his head.
Fish and Hunt