End of another great Coyote Season 2010

kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

End of another great Coyote Season 2010

Post by kunobasski »

Hey all,

Just wrapping up another season, these are some pics of a few of the coyotes that I found pic worthy.

I ended up with 13 total and all but one was skinned out for some hat making this summer. The one that didn't was all manged up and looking pretty rough.

tkuno
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Some fine shooting right there... 8)

Now the women and children are alot safer in your neighbourhood... :wink:
fish and hunt
Participant
Participant

Post by fish and hunt »

Nice looking dogs.

The next thing on my hunting list is a small rifle for next winters coyotes.
kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Next on list

Post by kunobasski »

Fish and Hunt,

May I suggest a .204 Ruger? Great round for yotes, and every conceivable manufacture chambers it from bench/tactical platforms to ultra light synthetics.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Very nice!....something I never got a chance to shoot when I did hunt. Were they solo kills or in a group of dogs?....also did you call them in or bait...both? Just curious....
kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

dogs

Post by kunobasski »

Hey Slop,

Out of 13 I seen 2 doubles, and got one set of them. The other pair busted me down wind and split.

Every other coyote (and all coyotes hunted by me) were called in to mouth blown distress calls. The killer pipes and Quaker bow screaming cotton tail worked best this season, likely due the abundance of rabbits and second probably due to the heavy crust we had this year which the yotes were unable to smash through and get the mice that run around under it.

Their slaves to their stomachs, so and easy meal like a wounded rabbit is very tempting when mice are hard to get, which i think are a yotes primary forage.

I'm not a pro, but as for bait hunting....its really hit or miss, almost all the time they hit a bait site after dark. Not always, but often.

Besides, there is nothing like seeing a coyote commit to a call and come in hard to check you out thinking your a nice juicy rabbit!

That's super exciting!
fish and hunt
Participant
Participant

Re: Next on list

Post by fish and hunt »

kunobasski wrote:Fish and Hunt,

May I suggest a .204 Ruger? Great round for yotes, and every conceivable manufacture chambers it from bench/tactical platforms to ultra light synthetics.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been mulling over a few cartridge types and that is not one I had considered. I'll make sure I look at it when coming to my decision.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Way to go! a couple of those look big like theyre over 40lbs.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Good job Trevor...
I only got 1 for 4 this winter... lots around but they are challenging to hunt!!!
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Great shooting congrats!

I'll be exploring those more hopefully this year as well.

I see you mouth called some of these but, have you tried electronic calls for them and if so, any luck?

Again, good shooting.
kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

e calls

Post by kunobasski »

I have tried sending these coyotes e-mail but they never respond?

But really, I have tried electronic call and I had little to no luck. I found that the power dawg calls and all those made in that price range have very poor sound. Coyotes arn't stupid and certainly can distinguish that "mechanical" sound these calls emit.

Now the more expensive fox pro calls sound great. These are the real deal. However i think they start at around $500! To much of an investment for me.

But overall, mouth calls work well, with practice they are very effective and they routinely draw even the most wary dog out into the open.
Even if your not a hunter, give em a try, its super for photographers or just teaching kids about wildlife.

Good luck.
kuno