Turkey chokes?

Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Turkey chokes?

Post by Mr Twister »

Question;

I was woundering how much difference a $20-30 Turkey choke can improve from an ordinary Full choke pattern?

Also what is the reason of a Turkey shot load from a regular lead #5 box?

Can not wait!!!!!!!! :wink:

Pauly
kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Turkey Chokes

Post by kunobasski »

What up Pauly,

A "turkey" choke is considered an extra full choke. Like all chokes, depending on the choke size, it will allow for more "spread" of shot at a given distance or less spread of shot at a given distance.

But you know that already.

What a Turkey Choke does for a shot gun is allow a hunter to extend his or her range with adequate down field shot density. It will not make the shot fly farther or faster, but it will deliver more pellets to a target with more pellets concentrating on the aim point, which is hopefully a turkey's head and neck area.

With that said, some ammo well perform better with some chokes, some worse. If you buy a turkey choke, don't be hesitant to pattern your gun on paper. Start with your favorite brand of turkey ammo. Check the consistency (say at 35 yards or so) of the shot or pellet placement. The tighter the better or if you well, the most consistent spread.

After shooting, look at the holes in the paper. Are they evenly spread out, say and inch apart. Or are there huge gaps in the pattern? if so, try a different brand of ammo, you'd be surprised at the difference one brand to the next well do.

But, yes, a Turkey choke will give you an edge (substantial edge once a good combo of ammo and choke are matched) on delivering a more lethal blow to a turkey at extended, but responsible ranges.

Turkey loads...compared to regular loads? Simply a heavier or more dense shot. 2 1/4 ounces lead or heavy shot, compared to lighter lead field loads used for pheasants and upland game. They hit with more ummmmph!

But some loads are specially designed to aid in that Tighter pattern I talked about earlier. Like Federal flight Control ammo. It has a wadding that holds the shot together for a more dense down field pattern.

Winchester and Remington I believe puts some sort or shot packing mixed in with the pellets to aid in their density.

Either way, once the right choke and ammo are matched, your turkey set up will grow exponentially more deadly resulting in an increase in turkey sandwiches.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, what kind of weapon you using? Its always interesting to see what the members are gearing up with these days.

trevor
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

I agree with Trevor.

The "turkey choke" is considerable tighter than a normal full choke. My choke tube is also ported.

Although a bit expensive, I patterened my gun with several brands of ammo and shot sizes. Having friends that hunt turkey and are willing to cough up a few rounds for the cause will help too.

Most turkey loads have more powder & shot than regular loads. The shot is usually buffered too. Buffer is usually salt sized fine plastic that takes up space between the pellets and protects the pellets on launch (being fired) from the gun. This creates less flyers and pellet collision which greatly effects pattern density.

My Remington 100M and Hastings barrel pattern Federal 3in. #5 turkey loads the best. That's my gun, not yours. Good luck.

gobble gobble

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

Thats great information guys as I did venture out at lunch time yesterday and sight in at 30yard/90',40yard/120' and 50yrds/150' as it was interesting to see the difference in pattern as 30yrd was grouped together a little low from bulls eye and then 40 still grouped decently but some what lower and 50yrds was still a few shots but dropped heavy as I would not attemp this shot!

I am using my new SX3 Winchester and shooting Winchester extra volosity turkey load in 3 1/2" #5.

I was told to use a calipper to varify the bore size of my full choke to the turkey choke just to compare?I will let you know what I find; )

Thanks again for your input :wink:

Pauly
kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by kunobasski »

When you check your bore size, look on the side of your choke tube, it might have it printed there.

As for my guns and ammo match:
My Bennelli Super Nova loves the standard .670 Carlson's choke tube with Remington nitro mag #6 3.5" Lead.

But it is just wild with a standard H.S. Strut .665 undertaker Tube squashing Federal Flight Control 3.5" in number 5.
I actually put a Bushnell Red Dot on it (the good one, not the $99 dollar junk) because the pattern was way tight at 35 yards. And almost as tight at 40 yards. Its like shooting a slug gun!
I would never try the shot, as it is too far in my opinion, but it is not uncommon to land at least 12 to 14 pellets in the kill zone (on paper) at 55yards.

I have not shot at a turkey with this set up yet, but if I'm real lucky, and there is a turkey out there who likes my decoy's, I just might?

tabasski
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I shoot w/ a cheapo Remington Xtra full turkey choke. Pattern is approx 14" at 50 yards.

I use a short 23" barrel, fiber optic rifle sights. The Fiber sights are great. With the tight pattern - closer shots are harder than longer, and even at 15yds, 3" pattern, I know the shot will be on the neck.

The short barrel is nice when walking through the bush with the gun slung on my shoulder, fewer tree branches hit the stubby barrel.

As DropShotr said, pattern the gun. My gun "prefers" 4x6 duplex loads, 2 turkeys dropped in agreement in 2009... :D