Scope mounting question;

Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Scope mounting question;

Post by Mr Twister »

Hey guys I have a Winchester SX3 as I would like to add on some sort of scope mounting device to aquire a red dot or panoramic sight.

I am having a very had time as the local gun smith is not much for pointing me in the right direction as he says he get what ever I want"
Its not the anser I am looking for as Winchester customer service recomened that I use a B-Square Saddle-mount.No one here has anything like that availible?
I do nt wish to have the gun smith drill into my new SX3 if you know what I mean.
Could you give me some pro's and con's about going this route and if it is even worth it as I wantto use it for Turkey hunting this year.

What is the diference of a Panoramic sight as to a Red dot scope and which one is better in your mind?

Thanks and good hunting

Pauly
Bait&Fate
Participant
Participant

Scope mounting

Post by Bait&Fate »

I suggest that you take your winchester out to Al's corner store at the Galetta side road and old highway 17. Talk to Al as I am sure he will be able to put you on the right path as to the type of scope mount and or scope you would need for turkey hunting. Though he doesn't rep winchester firearms, He does sell the 3rd party accessories etc. Also hunts turkey too.

Cheers

:) :)
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

Thanks for your tip to call Al's but like you said they only had onformation with Remington products on hand?
Action sport was useless......
Thanks anyway B'Limey
kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by kunobasski »

Mounting an optic on this weapon may limit you to the only solutions already mentioned.
However, having your gun "drilled" is not that bad. When done properly, and most guns smiths will do it properly, they will allow you to mount most any optic you choose for turkey hunting.

When wing shooting, you may take the optic and rings off, and leave the base, or take the base off as well if it interferes with your line of sight. The gunsmith should provide you with plug screws to fill the drill holes in this situation.

Now, having a receiver mounted base does have its advantages. It is the up most in shock resistance, and we all know that those mag turkey loads have plenty of recoil shock. So having the base secured direct and torqued to spec will allow for multiple shots without the worry of the optic moving, hence eliminating your weapons optics designed accuracy potentials.

If your dealing with the local Gun smith in Ottawa, he is a bit of a gun snob, and seemingly short on words when responding to a gun owners concerns and questions. However, do not let that deter you from his talents. He is a skilled tradesman who will provide quality service.

Good luck in your hunt this spring.

gobble gobble boom!

kuno
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bruce Ford Gunsmith south of CP

Post by C5 »

I have had good luck with Bruce.. he operates out of his house but seems to know what his is talkking about.. the work he has done for me was excellent and he spent an hour just "shooting" after the fix.. good luck pm for the phone number but he is in the book too!