Snow Geese

Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Snow Geese

Post by Scum Frog »

My son was in a "AAA" spring hockey tournament in St. Isidore this past weekend. On a farm field on the way into the town off the 417 was a field chalk full of what I believe are snow geeese. There were a few flocks of Canada's mixed in, but otherwise it was a sea of white. it was pretty neat to see, as in the west end of the valley we don't see them. Anybody hunt them.....it looks like it would be a blast!
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

I was talking to an outfitter out of Limogues area who will be having guided hunts next year in Ontario (spring). The Snow geese have been seen more and more in eastern Ontario due to their exploding numbers.
There is real concern on the effects the geese are having on the tundra as there poop is poisioning the environment they habitat in the summer. I think Quebec and NY state actually have teamed up to offer no limit hunts in the past to help numbers.Not sure if this is still in effect or not.
H&S
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

I got out once last year in the east end for Snows. I have never seen so many birds in a morning, let alone snows. It was a tricky day and we only had one lone ranger come in to our spread. He had no chance with six anxious hunters waiting......Something was defintily wrong though as we could only coax one flock of Canadas in that day. Defintily going to give it a few more goes next year now that we have a property to use.
pikefisher2009
Participant
Participant

snow geese

Post by pikefisher2009 »

well i hunton a farm in that area and last year was the first time we saw sooooo many snow geese,im sure this year ill be set up for them
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

'' Apparently '' there's so many of them , Quebec is planning on allowing a Spring Hunt for them next year... :idea:
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Well I can tell you they out numbered the Canada's about 30-1 over the weekend!

You fellas out that way are lucky.....we don't see them here in the Valley west of Ottawa
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Unlike Canada Geese, the snows will come into a field and stay the day and the night. Eating machines - ripping out all the wheat - total destruction.

Farmers in Eastern Ontario will have a new headache as the Snow Geese move further west.

Elsewhere in Canada, electronic calls are allowed for Snows. Not sure about here. I will be targetting them when they arrive.
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

I have also heard they are more shy to decoys and "learn" to stay away from repeated setups more than Canada Geese.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Bass Addict wrote:'' Apparently '' there's so many of them , Quebec is planning on allowing a Spring Hunt for them next year... :idea:
Spring hunt for snow geese, has existed for a while in QC.
tinman454
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

big flocks !!!!

Post by tinman454 »

I have hunted them before very hard to get them to come in. It is not uncommon for hunters to set up 300-500+ deks also this time of year they are one big flock because they have been hunted so much. but if your on the X it is the hunt or shoot of a life time :lol: :lol:
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

i heard 2012 for the spring hunt.

last fall we sat under the biggest wall of geese i have ever seen and 25% were snows... lots around this spring too
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

i heard 2012 for the spring hunt.

last fall we sat under the biggest wall of geese i have ever seen and 25% were snows... lots around this spring too
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

jazman wrote:i heard 2012 for the spring hunt.

That is what is called for Ontario's WMU 65, but it might be earlier (2011).

Spring hunt for snowns, is well established, except for certain sanctuaries.