Silent Morning

Buck Fever
Participant
Participant

Silent Morning

Post by Buck Fever »

I left the house this morning at 3:45 and stopped at Timmy's for a coffee. The guy said he was in a great mood and the coffee was free. Nice way to start the day :)

Anyways get to my spot at 4:45 and in my blind and set up by 5:15. 15 minutes to kill till I can load my gun. Waiting for some gobbling and didn't hear anything. About 6:15 I hear a shot go off at a neighbouring property. 5 minutes later I finally hear a distant gobble (very far away) Still sitting and waiting and I am sitting in my blind half asleep and doubting my location, my eyes are half closed when I look up and see 2 jakes 10 yards away from me. I take a double take, I am totally unprepared. I try to raise my gun slowly. I finally get it up on the biggest bird and let him have it. He goes down right away. Woo Hoo. All together I heard 1 gobble and 5 different shots. I wonder why they were so quiet today?? To me the most thrilling part of turkey hunting is the gobbling. Hopefully they will be a little more vocal on the weekend when I fill my second tag :D

MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

congrats on a successful opening day
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

hmmm...I had non stop gobbling from 5:30-7:00. The birds were quite distant, but it kept things entertaining. Maybe the early kill at your spot had them a little on edge? Nice bird though, and congrats on a successful hunt!
tinman454
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

nice !!

Post by tinman454 »

Good job on the turk !! :lol:. IF i were you try a different call for your second bird see if they will call back to it if they calll back it might be the tone of your other call you never know.
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

congrats

Post by C5 »

congrats on the jake and good luck on the weekend!

what a difference it is to be out in the spring as opposed to the fall hunting.. the world is noisy, busy and full of life compared to deer hunting when everything is so quiet.. cna't hear yourself think!

I had lots of gobbling close and far... I thought the season might be further along half expected them to be henned up, but 3 jakes and 2 toms together blew that theory:)

we had 4 inches of snow this am so it will be interesting to see that efffect.. I won't be out till Friday:)
Buck Fever
Participant
Participant

Re: nice !!

Post by Buck Fever »

tinman454 wrote:Good job on the turk !! :lol:. IF i were you try a different call for your second bird see if they will call back to it if they calll back it might be the tone of your other call you never know.
lol I tried 4 different calls. 2 box calls, a slate and a diaphragm lol waited 15 mins between calls
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Congrats - that's a nice Jake.