turkey hunting question

cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

turkey hunting question

Post by cgates »

If I shoot one tom and there is 2 or3 others will they be around the next day or do they desert the area ?

Thanks Chris
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I'm certainly no expert, and I'm sure that in some circumstances the birds might go far away after such an experience, but I would think that they'd be nearby the next day.
If you were to hunt them, it might be best to hunt the same birds from a different location, with a different set-up and a different call.
Just my opinion.

Good luck and hot barrels!

Yannick
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Depends what you shoot him with. :lol:
eg Bow - the others wont leave at all
SG - will take up to a week or more for them to return, and if/when they do return, they'll be much more nervous and wary.
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

I will add in my two cents:)

Post by C5 »

I have had success setting up exactly the same way and have had toms come right back in.. figured I must have done ssomething right if I got a Tom in so why not do it again:) ... I never hunt the same spot 2 times in a row.. I like to leave at least 48 hrs undisturbed, so that might be part of it.. Also after I shoot (whether gun or bow) I call again and try to get him to come back around... call then stop and let him start to leave then call again.. of course if your setup was poor and you think you might get busted.. forget it and let him leave...

Rotate your spots.. I use evenings to scout new areas and if I run into a bird awesome.. but generally I do not push hard.. better to locate a good spot to get setup for the morning...

Finally... I never take a gun shot past 40ydrs, or bow past 15 because all I do is lessen the chance for a great encounter the next time.. watch and learn:)

Last year, first weekend in May I put a friend onto a group of birds,, we had 4 strutting Toms never closer than 60 ydrs.. tried everything, even a gobble call to get them to come in and nothing.. we withdrew, snuck aorund and called from acorss a little creek and while we had them close we never closed the deal... it was 3 hours of intense excitiment.. to top it off we had a coyote come within 3 ydrs of us... my buddy who has hunted all over the world commented that it was the best 3 hour of hunting he ever had without killing something!

long post sorry