Best way to clean a turkey

cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Best way to clean a turkey

Post by cgates »

What is the best way to do it pluck or skin or breast it I looked on youtube and all i found is just breasting it

Thanks Chris
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

My instructor told me to soak it in very hot water and then pluck it. I tired it on Monday and it worked quite well.
I soaked it for about a minute in hot water in a cooler and pulled all the feathers out. The breast was the area which soaked the most and all parts of all the feathers came out clean. The legs soaked a little less and alot of those little black pieces that seem to connect the skin to the feather stayed on the bird.
Youtube was no good to me on this one either. However, the net helped tons with getting a tail mount ready http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-mount ... ail-50870/.

I hope this helps,

Yannick
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Cleaning a turkey

Post by Super »

Hi
The outfitter, Garry, cleaned it for me.
He just plucked it dry and it seemed to be fairly easy (always looks easy when a pro does something)
We used heavy duty branch cutters to cut the legs and the wings.
He used gloves to clean the cavity,
He had the bird on a table the whole time for plucking and cleaning the guts.
Just dropped everything into the garbage can (lined with a garbage bag)
When it was all done rinsed it out and bagged it.
Cut all the fat off from around the neck cavity, supposedly that is where the strong flavour comes from.
told me to soak it in cold, salted water for 2 hours before cooking and then I would be able to get the last few pin feathers out.
I did that and everything came out like a charm.
Just cooked it like a regular turkey, 350 degrees and 20 minutes a pound in a covered roasting pan.
Check it with half hour to go, might be ready.
Good luck
Super
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

1- Plucked is much better than skinned for cooking... the yellow fat keeps the bird sealed - prevents dryout.
2- If any skin rips, just "toothpick" some bacon over the missing skin.
3- Make sure you reach all the way between all the ribs to get all lung and other stuff out from between the bones. Watch out - some of the bones can be sharp.
4- There is a lot of meat on the back, some people I know only take the breasts and legs, but that is losing a lot of meat.
5- If the dressed bird is over 10lbs, you can chop it in half before freezing and make 2 meals of one bird.
6- The neck is great in soup