This mornings outing......May 6th

Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

This mornings outing......May 6th

Post by Mr Twister »

Brought out the cross bow this morning as the rain was holding out and not much wind......its a go!
Tried a different field from last year as some are hanging around a couple fields over that I have been seeing them but was not successfull in drawing them over as yes I saw them as I was leaving......D'oh
The mosquito's were in the hundreds this morning as I would welcome back the cold!!!
Whats the deal with the decoys that they put out as the body colours seem to be way off like....grey,biege?
I pulled up some hens and jakes off the internet and they were more on the brown side at least 70% body worth so I brushed up my 3 hens and a light dusting onto the Jake; ))
They look good to me as I was not able to see them in action this morning......go figure eh"
Saturday morning will be the day :wink:

Pauly
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

I was driving some back roads past Duclos near Ladysmith last week and saw a nice flock of about 20 and in the lead was a white one. I had to do a double take to see if they were chasing a seagull or something!

Maybe albino? What ever the case, perhaps they are especially attractive to the others, so that is why they make light colored decoys?

(Wild guess!!)

Craig
kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by kunobasski »

"White" Turkeys are known to be Female Peahens or Domestics Turkeys that escaped from a farmer. They often hook up with a group of wild birds.

I wonder if that was what you seen?
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

kunobasski wrote:"White" Turkeys are known to be Female Peahens or Domestics Turkeys that escaped from a farmer. They often hook up with a group of wild birds.

I wonder if that was what you seen?
Might have been... it was a hen. Same size as the rest of them though.

Craig
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

white turkeys etc

Post by C5 »

stick with the bow Twister you will be rewarded:) what a change from last week.. we saw turkeys everywhere now they are still there but harder to find and see (grass getting higher??) had tom in close enough for a gunshot but not for the bow:) I threw away those foam decoys because of colour and found the harder plastic, still easy to carry but better coulouring ,, didn't help this am though! Saturady will see the strutn tom with a real fan put to service.. we will see!

Here is a pic I took back in 2006 on Munster Road.. there were about 4 of these in a flock of 12.. talked to some friends in Alabama.. they say grey/white is a normal shade.. interesting variant,, only place I have seen these was in that area. cheers C5

Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

Are you sure thats not Photo Shop.........lol
When I was out on the weekend,I walked to the other side of the field and looked back at my decoys where I was set up and I was amazed to see how much they were not visible from that distance?
I believe as a confidence booster for your self use what is next to perfect when it comes to matching the game.........why not the same for Turkeys!

Good luck guyz :wink:

Pauly
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

photoshop

Post by C5 »

not smart enought to use programs like that can barely post a pic here:) actually, taken from the window of my car corner of Munster (Lucas Lane actually) and Fernbank.. totally agree with decoy comments.. I did try to put some feathers from a downed turkey and glue them on the hen dekes, became hard to handle and they pulled off, but it did work.. when they hang up in the same area more than once, I move the decoys in to only a few yards away from me, but place 2 or 3 dekes all on the same side to help draw attention away .. increases chance of detection but it has worked to get them closer... in 4 tries, 3 busts 1 bow kill...
here is another pic of that bird