Finally made it out.. Quinte Gobbler

fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Finally made it out.. Quinte Gobbler

Post by fatluke »

With work interfering with hunting (one of many things work has been interfering with), I had not been able to get out until this morning. The forecast did not look favourable, aside from being void of rain but I had planned to meet up with a buddy from back home. I was back home for mother's day, mother in-laws day, mother-in-laws birthday, and father-in laws birthday so the schedule was tight. We had planned to hunt until 9:00 am so we had to make something happen, rather than wait for something to happen.

We were setup for 4:50 am, waiting for the 'berry to strike 5:09 am, legal shooting time. The clock struck, the calls clucked and we waited. My buddy had a big Tom doin his 'thing in the field opposite to to the one he was hunting Friday morning, so we opted to try this spot first. We made a few more calls over the next 40 mins and never got a response, well at least not that we could hear with the 30 KM winds ripping. We picked up the lone hen decoy and moved around to the opposite end of the opposite field and played the game for 40 minutes, again with no responses.

We made the hike back to the truck and after a short tour across the country we were at a new field where my buddy had scouted 2 hens on Thursday evening. We were setup for 20 minutes or so, discussing how neither of us have had any luck, and very few sightings on cold mornings with high winds and no sun. Just as my "guide" was finishing a fierce set of calls I caught a glimpse of movement about 120 yards across the field, and about 70 yards to the south of our setup. My buddy offered the bird to me, as it was my first time out this year, and he had already bagged a 21 lb, 10".

I could tell it was a good bird, even at 120 yards. We adjusted ourselves to remain motionless as the hunt was on. My buddy was working "The Freak" and the first calls he made once the tom was visible sent him running full speed right for us. As he got closer and dropped behind a knoll in the field, I adjusted my position again as it seemed he was not going to come directly into the Hen. As he approached 50 yards he began to strut and gobble. He was talking back and fourth with "The Freak" yet he continued to head for the bushline we were sitting in, but still about 50 yards south of us. I could not swing the Benelli anymore to the south due to the way I was positioned. We were worried he was going to head into the bush and try to circle back out where we were. As my buddy let out a sweet cadence of purrs the Tom did a short strut, a quick gobble and then b-lined it right up the tree line. By the time he was into my "strike zone" he was about 18 yards outs. As he became visible down the barrel I pulled the trigger and the hunt was over (7:20am).

I thanked my buddy for the bird and the sweet calling, he snapped some pics and we went home to slam a pint before heading our separate ways for mothers day activities.

I later determined the beard to be 10.25", with a weight of 22lbs.

Last edited by fatluke on Mon May 10, 2010 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Beauty Bird, nice hunt, congrats!!
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

great story, great pics, great hunt!

well done!
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Good job dude

ASK
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Congrats on the bird!!
Now go get another one... :D
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

Very nice bird Luke!!!Congrats on your success for sure; ))
I was out both Saturday and Sunday as the weather was the pits and only brought out some hens 5 yards from me........go figure"
Thanks for the great photo's
:wink:
Pauly
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

By the way Luke I have G-man beside me and he wants to say something....................."THATS THE SMALLEST TURKEY THIS YEAR THAT I HAVE SEEN"you should have let the little guy go!!!!!!! :wink:

Gerard the one and ONLY :shock:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Great job taking down your first of the season. Very nice Luke.
tinman454
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

nice!!

Post by tinman454 »

Nice job on the bird way to work your spots moving around really payed off great job :lol: :lol:
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Mr Twister wrote:By the way Luke I have G-man beside me and he wants to say something....................."THATS THE SMALLEST TURKEY THIS YEAR THAT I HAVE SEEN"you should have let the little guy go!!!!!!! :wink:

Gerard the one and ONLY :shock:
hmmm.... I must have missed the picture of your Turkey Girard.... Oh ya... butterballs in the grocery store don't make for a good photo. I guess it would be the smalled one you have seen this year, since it's the only turkey you've seen!!! :lol: :lol: You'll have better luck trying to hit one with your pretty white Ford. Bonne chance mon ami. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the replies guys. That bird's gonna make an awful lot of smoked turkey sandwiches for the summers fishing trips. Got a boat, want some sammiches? Send me a pm and let's go land some feeesh and eat some sammiches.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Nice work bud! Can't wait to gobble down some sammiches.

I should have some Whities and Laquer for the smoker as well.
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Turkey

Post by Super »

Excellent bird
You really had to work for that one.
Good job!
Super
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

If your going to make some turkey sausages .....The Garlic will be ready July 15th ish... :wink: 8) 8)
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Good going on the gobbler!

Enjoy the smoked turkey sammeches.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Ya nice boss Tom!