Season done!

Buck Fever
Participant
Participant

Season done!

Post by Buck Fever »

Left the house about 3:15 Yawn..... Got the the farm by 4:15 and was set up by 4:30 and tried to get comfortable in a new spot overlooking the field where I saw the gobblers the last time. Today's set up was just a single hen. 15 minutes I hear a gobble really close but it was still a little too dark to see. The gobbles then went crazy almost every 30 seconds from the same spot. As the light gradually increased I noticed a black blob moving in the tree near the field edge. I called softly with my slate call he responded to every sound made. Finally about 5:15 he flew down into the adjoining field. I made a few more soft calls and he headed in my direction calling and displaying all the way. At about 40 yards I was going to let him have it but decided to let him get a little closer. At this point he swings wide to my left and I couldn't see him anymore because of an obstructed view( rock and bush). Seems like forever before he showed his face again but he popped about 10 yard away from me. I flipped my safety and fired. He flopped around a bit but was done. This was much better than my opening day bird, there is nothing like the gobbling and displaying to get the blood pumping. It had a 9 inch beard and matching 1 inch spurs. Here are a couple pics.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Congrats on filling the 2nd tag - a great bird & nice pics!
tinman454
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

nice!!

Post by tinman454 »

Nice bird Way to go!