Lucky Me

LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Lucky Me

Post by LeGrand »

In QC we have a draw for anterless deer, enabling us to harvest a doe during the black-powder / crosbow season, then in the rifle, shotgun season if we haven't harvested in the first two (archery, blackpowder). During the archery only season, you can harvest what you want.

I've been participating every year for over 12- 15 years, and never came out as a winner. Got a confirmation yesterday, that I am one of the lucky winners. Almost fell on my B_t. Was starting to loose confidence in the Government allocation system, since some of my acquaintances have been winning pretty much every year.

As a non-resident of Ontario, and hunting in Ontario for a couple of years know, I could either not afford (another $180.00), or obtain whatever tags was left over for non-resident in WMU 64-A, which made it sad, cause while posted in my blind(s), I would never see a buck showing-up (except on my TrailCam), but I had to glance and look at the various does coming to my bait site or in the field from my ground blind.

Was fortunate enough four years ago to participate with an Ontario group in a Party Hunt. Even offered to share in the cost of their tags.

Now, its good to know that if I don't harvest during the archery season in QC, then I have a fallback for the rifle season.

8)
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

well good for you. our chances in Ontario have dropped this year. the deer numbers have pretty much stayed the same but they have reduced the number of anterless tags.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

When it pours it rains.

For the last two years, I have added to my waterfowl hunts the services of an outfitter near Morrisburg. Going again this year (2 day hunt) with same partner from Sherbrooke, QC

I placed a post on some Forums (not this one) enquiring about any possible openings in a group that would be using another outfitting service in Lansdowne.

Got the Lansdowne owner e-mailing me back and making arrangements with me to fit me in with one of his clients group. Yahoo, I'm happy.

Got today from one of the members of this Forum, asking me to keep in touch for a possible early season outing in the Ottawa area. Wow, I'm enthusiastic and gratefull.

Got a notice today from a guide of the outfitting service in Morrisburg, who's also a Committe member of our Finch Delta Waterfowl Chapter, that having talked with the owner, they could maybe book me for an early season. Incredible, I'm flabergasted on how things our coming together.

That's not to count my own outings with local friends.

Going to be busy in the kitchen, cooking up some great dishes, that's for sure. My mouth is already salivating for some geese.

:roll:
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

They halved the doe tags again this year in Ontario. No bucks around as anything with horns regarding age is being taken by greedy hunters who need to kill something. Should ban hunting with dogs like in QC. The MNR will never do this as there are too many $$ coming in from this unfair chase system of hunting.
IMO
H&S
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

I agree H&S, they should cut out using dogs. I don't think that their use is as bad as it used to be. I know people that have paid a lot of money for their hounds, then finding themselves reluctant to let them loose with too many trigger happy rednecks around. with so many opportunities and methods to hunt, the use of dogs is going to die off and so is the old way of hunting. and i think Renfrew County is one of the only counties that still allows the use of dogs
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Legrand - Congrats on the draw - I wish you success!! Eating a tag that you waited that long for would be enough to pi$$ off the pope!!

Sounds like your season is coming together nicely. You'll enjoy hunting with S.L. Outfitters - David Roy and the other guides know their stuff.

Re: Hounds
Hunting with dogs does change the game - but it doesn't tip the odds as much as many people think. It is a different technique than still hunting, but deer soon wise up and in some cases leave the area entirely once the dogs have a couple of runs. In that case, dogs can work against you...

Our group shot 5 deer opening week last year... how many were shot off our dogs? Zero!! Not one of our five kills came off our dogs!

I enjoy the sound of the hounds tonguing... and hope to be able to keep using them.

PS
I'm not in Renfrew County - there are quite a few places that still allow dogs.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

hook&shoot wrote:They halved the doe tags again this year in Ontario. No bucks around as anything with horns regarding age is being taken by greedy hunters who need to kill something. Should ban hunting with dogs like in QC. The MNR will never do this as there are too many $$ coming in from this unfair chase system of hunting.
IMO
H&S
Have you ever hunted with dogs before?
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

dogs have been working in our favor for years and we dont have any :lol: :lol: :lol:
my dads gang hunts across the road from us and when the deer get away on the dogs, guess where they show up. yep..... in my freezer.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

moonshine wrote:dogs have been working in our favor for years and we dont have any :lol: :lol: :lol:
my dads gang hunts across the road from us and when the deer get away on the dogs, guess where they show up. yep..... in my freezer.
Thats what I have noticed, the dogs in our camp make the deer move, but you never know for sure where the deer will run. But it does keep them from just laying down