Advice for new duck hunter?

Brodes
Participant
Participant

Advice for new duck hunter?

Post by Brodes »

Hey guys, I thought this might warrant a new thread. Im from Ottawa and am hoping to get out this year to duck hunt, but dont have anyone to show me the ropes, thus have been doing my research.

I have already completed my hunters safety course, and received my PAL, although i have yet to purchase a shot gun.

So anyway, I guess what Im looking for is some advice from some veterans. Any words of wisdom for a newcomer? Thanks guys.
Brody from Ottawa
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Best advice I can give is...
(1) Read up on habitat, species etc. Learn the regs. and how to identify a black duck, you don't want to have 2 of them.
(2) Get a Rem 870 pump. Solid gun, will last for years.
(3) Shoot some clays, different approach angles.
(4) Find some other duck hunters who are willing to have you in the party
Best way to meet some fellow hunters is to join a Game club, get out on the range and shoot clays. Alternatively, go out on a guided hunt for the first time.
(5) Get out there and knock down a few.

Opening day is not always the best hunting in terms of numbers, as often the whistlers haven't started flying yet, but it is usually the most comfortable, and the birds are not as wary as later in the season.
Late season, when the small ponds start to freeze up, the birds will congregate on the larger rivers. While it is usually a cold hunt, can quite be incredible shoot even into December.

G'luck!!
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

O4T gives great advice.
I can't say much for where to go.
I started duck hunting as a kid with my brother and father.
I shot AT ducks for a few seasons until my skills improved. I'll go over some of the rookie mistakes I made:

shooting too early: I didn't wait long enough and started shooting while the ducks were coming at me, or were too far away. So stay hidden and let them make another pass and wait until they are in range

Not staying hidden: I didn't build a decent blind, and didn't cover up properly. Those ducks will pick you off in an instant. You will see their heads turn at you, and they will just veer around you.

didn't lead: I aimed at duck and fired. of course shooting behind them. You have to lead them and swing through your shots.

Didn't invest in decoys: You have to give them a reason to get close and call... but don't call too much, and not when they get close. You don't want them to see that the sound is coming from you.

If it's windy and poor weather out, not much is flying, so wait for good weather to have a successful outing. Set youself up in the dark and be ready as daylight breaks. Alll of the action is in the first part of the morning, or inthe last part of the evening. I prefered morning hunts as finding your downed ducks in the dark isn't easy.
Personally I became much better when I went from a pump to a semi-auto. But I still usually miss on my first shot and hit on my second. A semi let me keep the bead where I needed it.

Some guys spend big dollars on high end 3" and 3 1/2" in shells. Personally I never saw a difference if I was shooting the expensive stuff or the cheaper 2 3/4", but I always tried to get the heaviest I could get.
tinman454
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

You will need this !!

Post by tinman454 »

get a good pair of chest waders, small boat or canoe you wil need this for any water hunt the rest of the stuff you need you can get as you learn. Point is if you shoot any birds you will need a way to get them also if you get in to this sport a lot you will want a dog!! as this is the best way to hunt ducks after you set up you never leave the blind the dog does all the work for you! Best way to hunt!!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Ohh to have a good retriever... I'm the guy with the flashlight after the hunt muttering "I'm sure he dropped around here" looking for my downed birds... :D
Brodes
Participant
Participant

Post by Brodes »

This is great stuff guys, I appreciate it! I have a canoe and im a dog lover so Id love a retriever but I have a 3 year old shepherd at home, and I dont think the wife would be ok with another animal. One day I guess.

I have done a bit of clay shooting and loved it, thats actually what prompted my interest in duck hunting.

How about etiquette? Any advice on how to not bother my fellow hunters?
do you ever see rookies making errors that you wish they woudnt?
Thanks again guys!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

For the newbie,

Almost EVERY body of water in Ontario is ok for duck hunting.

Get an easy to use call and PRACTICE....calling will make all the difference!

Lots of noise when they are far away....SILENCE when they are close or kiteing in!

Decoys!

Find the species you want to hunt!

I have some good spots and have no qualms going out with you and sharing some. I have only ever been skunked ONCE!

Being hidden is also key. Open boat....not going to work. Get that canoe RIGHT INTO THE RUSHES and hidden.

use a good duck shot, not CT garbage or Wal-Mart stuff. Go to Bennett's. Shawn will hook you up! Black Cloud all the way or Hevi-shot for me.

Don't get trigger happy! Wait till they are good and close!

Canvass backs are like F-14's......LOL!
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Brodes wrote:do you ever see rookies making errors that you wish they woudnt?
Don't shoot em after they land on the water. I saw a few guys doing that last year - where's the fun in that? Oh yeah, it also ruins the decoys.
Sometimes the odd bird will sneak through and land in your set, wait til the flyers are gone (hopefully dropped), flush up the paddler, then shoot!!
refteck
Participant
Participant

Post by refteck »

Brodes if your looking at going out this year your going to want to check out a couple areas early so when the sun comes up there's no surprises and you know exactly were you are.

I use this time to do some fishing and mark a trail with the GPS or some kind of reference points, so as not to hit any stumps on your way in.

The first year we hunted we set up in this area that looked great at 4am. but turned out to be 10' circle of 3' high catails, hard to hide a 16' in that!

PM me if you'd like tpo come out at some point after Sept. there's always room for one more.

Refteck
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

As for a gun the most important thing is BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.

I am a Remington gun and Federal ammo kinda guy. I will admit that if I was in the market for an autoloader I'd get a Benelli....I'd still feed it Federal ammo :wink:

Get a sling for your duck gun, not a cheap loopy thingy, but a real sling. It will be just as handy when your duck gun turns into a turkey gun.

Depending on how you choose to approach duck hunting, it can get to be an expensive hobby in short order. Waders, Parka or jacket, bibs(not pants) footwear and headwear.

This is no time for hasty decissions. Ask around what the guys are wearing and using. Take the time and and do research before making your purchases.

I love Cabelas clothing. From the duck blind to the tree stand. It has stood up to me.

Dogs..........I hunted the St Lawrence. Had two dogs...Chesapeakes.

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman