Slug Gun options

ralphie
Participant
Participant

Slug Gun options

Post by ralphie »

folks

I was whining about recoil from a synthetic 12g shotgun in another post in another section-wanted to move the topic to this section

I purchased a reasonable priced(cheap) shotgun with combo barrels, nice light gun for the all day in the blind hunts cant complain with regular barrel
nice goose gun actions nice

but the slug barrel with sabotted slugs whacks the cheek no matter how hard I hold to the shoulder Ive hunted for over 30 years with many guns
i have never been smacked like this . Concensus is lighter gun more energy transferred t the shooter to absorb- Im amazed at the upward thrust-not the shoulder

any recommended or preferred slug guns, I hunt 65 so its shotgun-muzzle loader-use both but would like a dedicated bambi getter
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Not that I'v found it's the synthetic stock I just had to man up :lol: :lol: They would say
Panfisher
Participant
Participant

Slug Gun options

Post by Panfisher »

Have you tried the managed recoil Buckhammers from Remington?

Definitely less recoil but they will still drop a deer. I took a 6/7 pointer a couple of years ago with those slugs.

A lot easier shooting than the 3.5 Federals I practised with at Stittsville.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I use same in WMUs where rifles are not allowd. I shoot an 870 Synthetic Stock with Hornady SST Sabots. Kicks hard - yesssir!!
But not enough to be a concern, once it's sighted in, only a few shots fired in a season. In WMU67 I hunt with a centerfire rifle during gun season.
Dan Smyth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dan Smyth »

My primary slug gun is a Remington 1100 with a full rifled barrel mounted with a Redfield 2-7 power scope. This gun is chambered for 2 3/4 only but with the high end sabot slugs it is deadly out beyond 75 yards.
fish and hunt
Participant
Participant

Post by fish and hunt »

I shoot a REmington 87o with 3 inch, Federal Barnes Expanders. This combonation is dead on. They come in 2 3/4 inch as well, so a little less recoil. I have found that all slugs have consideral recoil on the range, but have vever noticed it while hunting, most likely because of the adrenaline. Id suggest finding a slug your comfortable/accurate with, sight youur gun in to where you want it, and then shoot it only when you need to.
Fish and Hunt
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Food for though...some bloggers claim a 20 gauge has better trajectory and accuracy than 12 gauges. Personally I have never used a 20 g for slugging.
H&S
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Ralphie maybe it is the stock that is either too long or too short and you need to bend your head too much and your cheek touches the stock??? On my 870 I had to add about 1/2 " of stock because when I brought the gun up to my shouldher I had to tip my head down towards the stock to be able to see my sights. With the extra 1/2" I bring it up and I am already lined up to see my sights.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
TMH
Participant
Participant

Post by TMH »

hook&shoot wrote:Food for though...some bloggers claim a 20 gauge has better trajectory and accuracy than 12 gauges. Personally I have never used a 20 g for slugging.
H&S
If I was to do over again I'd get the 20 guage, cheaper to shoot, easier on the shoulder and no developping a flinch.. Also it would be a lighter gun as well.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

I have a 20gauge semi with a rifled barrel and a red dot... This is my slug gun... It sings...

I have a .270 for rifle shooting deer.

But I love my Hoyt.