Goose Hunt Rundown - Oct 9th

Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Goose Hunt Rundown - Oct 9th

Post by Out4trout »

3:45a alarm goes off, coffee already brewing on timer
4:15a out the door, loaded with dekes, gun, camo, ammo & lunch
4:30a arrive at bud's house. Pick up two more fellas from our group, one had just returned with 4 fresh Tim's coffee for all for the road trip :D
5:45a arrive at field, 6:30a dekes placed, blinds roughed in.
Time to relax with a coffee waiting for the birds to be flying.
7:45a what the :shock: Few birds so far. Last saturday we had at least 4 flocks before 8am. A beauty morning, but looking to be a bit slower...

7:55a first flock decoyed in, quite shy, but we pulled 3 out of it.
And so it went. A few flocls here and there. Then, around 10:30a, things changed dramatically, with some 200+ bird flocks winging our way. Lots of decoying birds between 10:30 and 11:30am, some good shooting ensued.

By 11:30am we had 18 birds down, 2 shy of our 4 hunter limit. A noon wrap was called, dekes were stored for the trip home, off the field by 12:30p, buds dropped off and back home by 3pm, my 5 birds were cleaned by 4pm.

What started as a slower than normal morning ramped into quite a good shoot after all. A bonus, 16 of the 18 birds downed were young, looking forward to some tender eating from this outing!! :D

Deke spread...middle landing zone

the morning results...

Cheers
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Goose Hunt Rundown - Oct 9th

Post by cprince »

Out4trout wrote:3:45a alarm goes off, coffee already brewing on timer
4:15a out the door, loaded with dekes, gun, camo, ammo & lunch
4:30a arrive at bud's house. Pick up two more fellas from our group, one had just returned with 4 fresh Tim's coffee for all for the road trip :D
5:45a arrive at field, 6:30a dekes placed, blinds roughed in.
Time to relax with a coffee waiting for the birds to be flying.
7:45a what the :shock: Few birds so far. Last saturday we had at least 4 flocks before 8am. A beauty morning, but looking to be a bit slower...

7:55a first flock decoyed in, quite shy, but we pulled 3 out of it.
And so it went. A few flocls here and there. Then, around 10:30a, things changed dramatically, with some 200+ bird flocks winging our way. Lots of decoying birds between 10:30 and 11:30am, some good shooting ensued.

By 11:30am we had 18 birds down, 2 shy of our 4 hunter limit. A noon wrap was called, dekes were stored for the trip home, off the field by 12:30p, buds dropped off and back home by 3pm, my 5 birds were cleaned by 4pm.

What started as a slower than normal morning ramped into quite a good shoot after all. A bonus, 16 of the 18 birds downed were young, looking forward to some tender eating from this outing!! :D

Deke spread...middle landing zone

the morning results...

Cheers
Great shooting Tex!!!

Thanks for the report. I might take you up on the camera man non hunter position. Just trying to clear some time up. How much more do you hunt into the fall?

Craig
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Your report is great thanks for sharing your picture.

Did you hunt into cuted corn field?

ASK
Just Dive................
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Goose Hunt Rundown - Oct 9th

Post by Out4trout »

cprince wrote:How much more do you hunt into the fall? Craig
We're planning our next goose hunt for the late season, following deer ML season. So it will be 2nd or 3rd week of Dec. I'll send you a PM when the date-time is finalized. Would be nice to get video of the birds decoying!
ASK wrote:Your report is great thanks for sharing your picture.
Did you hunt into cuted corn field? ASK
Yep - cut corn. The grain corn is starting to come off now which will be a game changer, with many more fields available to the geese, lower numbers of birds expected in any specific field.

Thanks
Fin and Feather
Participant
Participant

Goose Hunt Rundown

Post by Fin and Feather »

My son Eric and I were out the door at 5:30 am, set up by 6:20 am. Hunted a cut soy bean field. Packed up and on the road at 8:20 am with our 10 bird limit. Thousands of geese came off the roost starting at 7:00 am. Scooted two more fields late this afternoon for tomorrow mornings hunt holding a pile of birds. Will be hunting in two groups, one with two and the other with four.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Awesome. Nice deek spread :D
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
Raydar
Participant
Participant

Post by Raydar »

Hey Craig, I don't know what area your hunting but if you’re looking for another guy to help get the limit up I would love the opportunity to learn as much as I can. This is my first year goose hunting and I love it. I was happy to harvest 6 so far this year and I would love to try some field hunts. Don't hesitate to tell me no if you have enough guys already, I’m just new and eager. Either way good job on the hunt that was.
Take care,
Raydar
Keep your line in the water and there will always be a smile on your face.