new duck hunter again

Brodes
Participant
Participant

new duck hunter again

Post by Brodes »

Hey guys, I havent made it out yet, and Im getting kinda bummed about it.
Anyone interested in showing me the ropes one morning? I really should get out with someone experienced and Id like to learn how to clean a duck or goose first hand, rather than use my limited knowledge that was aquired on the internet.

send me a PM if anyone has space for one more, Happy Hunting all.

Brody In Ottawa
TMH
Participant
Participant

Post by TMH »

have you done some scouting? asked permission from farmers to hunt their fields? or maybe gone on google maps to scout out some swamps?
TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TheFishstick »

Hey,

My best suggestion is to start knocking on door and getting permission to hunt fields and then trying to find someone experience to come show you the ropes. Most veterans are hesitant to take guys they don't know out for fear of getting "burned" (having the new guy come back to the field they've been taken out to and getting permission there). I've seen it happen tons of times and I've had it happen to myself as well. I've personally never gone back to a field that I've been taken to by someone else without the person who first took me there. It's an unspoken rule hat I respect because I know how frustrating it can be to have someone spot poach.

I've put thousands of miles in driving around the country side most morning following the birds and patterning them and getting permissions to hunt fields. Its a lot of work but it pays off with exciting hunts. Sure you could get permission on any given field and hunt it and possibly harvest a few birds but to consistently put down quick limits mean always being on the "X" (the field the birds are using to feed on any given day) and the "X" is always changing. Its not just about asking for permission either, its about respecting the landowner and developing a long term relationship with them.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

-Eric
Brodes
Participant
Participant

Post by Brodes »

Fish stick, great advice! This is definetely part of what im looking for....I dont want to disturb the vets who have been hunting for years, just looking to learn, and etiquette is part of the process. thanks guys.
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

we could access a copy of the form required for hunting a property I can't find it here is it still available or did I :roll: see this on another site?? :roll:
Life goes on
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

go to the OFAH site link belwo for landowners permission form.. good luck!

http://www.ofah.org/hunting/index.cfm?ID=5
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume ... 001301.pdf

This one is for non OFAH members. I have both done :wink:
H&S
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

thanks guys I am an OFAH member. Good hunting to you all.
Life goes on