Deer hunting with dogs

hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Deer hunting with dogs

Post by hook&shoot »

Figured it was timely as rifle opens in most WMU's next week.
How many hunt with dogs and all the electric gizmo's that go along with it?
Quebec and Manitoba do not allow hunting with dogs of any big game and personally I never have, nor do I support it. However I realize it is a tradition in Ontario that has been going on for years.
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

Nothing like the sweet sound of hounds starting a deer on a cool crisp morning. If that does not get your heart pumping nothing will !!!! :lol: :D
chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chappee77 »

Could'nt agree with you more Haulin Bass. There is nothing like the sound of them hounds to get the heart pumping.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

6 more sleeps until the camp boss will be heard over the two way radio's

"Gentlemen, release the hounds"
the bogie Man
Participant
Participant

Post by the bogie Man »

Nothing better than a big hound or Beagle boooing on a fresh track!!!!!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

We have 4 hounds, but don't use tracking electronics. We take turns walking the dogs so everyone gets equal tree-stand time. We typically stand hunt opening day, then the next afternoon we use the dogs to get the deer moving.

As others have said, the sound of a hound tonguing is an awesome part of the overall hunting experience. Much more so when you have raised the hound from a pup as part of your family.

My hound enjoys the hunt as much as I do. When a deer is down, he follows in shortly after, lays beside it and experiences praise, pride and accolades for a job well done. We celebrate the success together.

My hound is my hunting partner and a loyal friend.
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

I bow hunt 400 acres of private property with my son.

It's a sure thing that sometime or other during the gun season unwelcome guys let dogs loose at the road and drive deer through our woods to the fields on the other side. The farmer says ther can be a lot of dogs and shooting going on. Neither of us have caught them yet.

Don't care for dog hunting much.

Maple
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

Now I have hunted over dogs and it has been fun, but I really do not like the deer being moved out of a area (like my own property) when I would rather be still hunting it... having said that IMHO the non-hunting community is especially adept at dividing and conquering.. lets get the bow hunters get upset with the gun guys and then the gun guys get mad at the hound guys adn lesst not start on those dam fisherman and on and on it goes..
then the MNR swoops in and makes the changes they want for the whole deer hunt because (or say bear hunt) because there is no cohesive group that can articulate a general position.. we are too busy fighting amongs ourselves

So.. when the dogs are running deer across my property tomorrow morning, I will either grab the gun and go take a stand and/or hope the deer stay smarter than the dogs:)

However under no circumstances should this give licence for people to trespass or allow their dogs to run after or before the season or for that matter target your property to run accross.... it is just that I think we are a small enough group as hunters as it is, without being further divided and made weaker.

If you think I am being paranoid.. take a look at the situations in the near north where the MNR has pitted lodge owners against locals for remote lake access... and I mean purposely spreading false info so they can come in and establish rules THEY want to see. Or the cancelation of the bear hunt at the last minute knowing that not many hunt bear relatively speaking so it won't be a big deal.

So go out and talk to the hound guys.. first thing you will see is alot of them don't even carry a gun.. they are there to hear the hounds.. secondly, they have fed and looked after and trained the dogs since last season and fianlly, they are hunters just like you and me... members of a small and shrinking group.. we ought to be reaching out to each other as opposed to finding fault... Most are responsible dog owners and hunters.. just like us

Sorry for the ramble, but lets not make it even easier for the antis to kill our sport...
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

I know where you're coming from C5. I agree.

And I'm just about a tolerant as they come as far as other people doing their thing is concerned. Just don't like guys driving from concession road to concession road letting dogs out of the back seat to run deer off private property. It sure pee pee the farmer off I can tell you that. Yet, year after year there's nothing he can do about it. Talk about divisive activities!!

I, on the other hand, have my freezer full long before that.

Maple
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

I couldn't agree more.. too bad though the famous line about actions of few....
Most of the hound guys I suspect wouldn't let their dogs run like that.. but it does touch a chord with non-hunters and property owners for sure. And anyway deer not run taste much better.. right?
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Ron,
I have to disagree lately with hunters standing by a code of ethics.I have found with the deer populations in the toilet,the last few seasons guys who run dogs and those that do not ,have become less concerned about stepping on the neighbours "area" . must....shooot....deeeerrrr..... menatality. In fact in Madawaska Highlands last year two groups had a fist fight over crown land that they had an exclusive "right" to hunt. :?
trapperdirk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trapperdirk »

Although I both stand hunt with a bow I love running hounds . Alot of groups surrounding our area would not have got the deer they did without our hounds or somebody elses pushing deer . Most were thankful .

We don't run with tracking collars and know our tracts of land well enough to catch our dogs up most days . Just the thought of a deep voiced ol bluetick straightening the deer out on a cold frosty morning makes me feel alive .

TD
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

I guess my whole point is that while our total hunting group is small.. it is made even smaller if divided into categories like archery guys, dog guys etc. These distinctions can be used against us by those wishing to drive their own non-hunting/fishing agendas.. so I try to understand whay guys like to hunt with dogs as much as i like standing hunting etc. Inside our group lets hold everyone to task.. outside a common front is needed..

i own significant acreage and every year i tear down stands guys have snuck in, so i hear you Hook.... I need a UAV to keep an eye on things:)

When numbers are low, the whining around here begins.. but no one remembers how they filled every tag and addtional tags and they wonder where the deer have gone.. must be the coyotes:)
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Not really a fan of using dogs... Doesn't float my boat really...

To me, up close and personal is more my style. I do gun hunt, but prefer bow. Not even sure you need to know much about a deer, or their habits to hunt with dogs... Just doesn't seem right to me... Though I'm sure many people who run dogs know way more than I'll ever know about deer and deer hunting. :)

Do whatever makes you want to get out and enjoy the outdoors and the sport. That's the most important.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

I know this might be somewhat off topic but the damndest thing I have seen with regaurds to hunting with dogs is my bud used to bring his boxer and rotty over to the farm and we would go after ground hogs.

WOW!
:shock:

Some of the nicest dogs... friendly as heck with other dogs... even ignore the barn cats... but put a ground hog near them and they change to Jeffry Dalmer and Ted Bundy!!

Thrash the heck out of them until what was once one piece of critter becomes at least two!!

I have heard similar stories about other peoples dogs too...

Carry on...

Craig