What are you using?

cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

SeaMonster wrote:Cprince... will trade for farm equipment, fishing gear or other firearm... 8)
Sorry! It is the perfect comb to part year olds hair! Love the hand gun bullets in a rifle!

Craig
rugger
Participant
Participant

Post by rugger »

For deer I'll be using my Remington 7600 35 Whelen with Bushell scope & 200gr Core-Lokts
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

200 grain!!! Is there much left to dress :shock:
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
Set-The-Hook
Participant
Participant

Post by Set-The-Hook »

Ammo:
.243 Winchester 95gr XP3
25.06 Winchester 110gr AccuBond
.270 WSM Winchester 130gr XP3
6.5X55 Winchester SuperX 140gr Soft Point
.308 Winchester 168gr. Ballistic Silvertip

In order of appearance this year: HAHA
.270 Virgin Gun...no deer...YET
6.5X55 Virgin Gun...no deer...by me...YET
25.06 Many deer and various game...
.243 Many deer and various game...
.308 Dad is using after he gets one...I may have to give it a go!
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught!
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

cprince wrote:
SeaMonster wrote:Cprince... will trade for farm equipment, fishing gear or other firearm... 8)
Sorry! It is the perfect comb to part year olds hair! Love the hand gun bullets in a rifle!

Craig
Oh well, worth a shot. (pardon the pun...) Sweet classic gun. I have a soft spot for those old levers. You're splitting those hairs in style. :wink:
rugger
Participant
Participant

Post by rugger »

hook&shoot wrote:200 grain!!! Is there much left to dress :shock:
200gr is the lightest factory ammo made for the 35! I also have a few boxes of 250gr but I'll save them for the big game!!

The 35 Whelen is good bush gun. Ploughs through the small brush. Only draw back is it has a hell of a kick. I added a bigger recoil pad which has taken away some of the kick.
Last edited by rugger on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Glad to see I'm not the only one using a WW1 Lee Enfield .303. That thing has gotten me a moose and 2 bears. That gun has gotten 3 generations of hunters their first moose. Good luck to all the deer guys out there. Looking forward to seeing some pics. If the stars align, I'll be chasing walleye for another couple weeks.

tight lines and hot barrels,
Yannick
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Wow! I am surprised that no one else is admitting to a 410 side by side! The Iver Johnson is a great little gun!

If you are truly sporting and like skeet... this is what you are supposed to use!!

Craig
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

fisherguy33 wrote:Glad to see I'm not the only one using a WW1 Lee Enfield .303. That thing has gotten me a moose and 2 bears. That gun has gotten 3 generations of hunters their first moose. Good luck to all the deer guys out there. Looking forward to seeing some pics. If the stars align, I'll be chasing walleye for another couple weeks.

tight lines and hot barrels,
Yannick
My dad has the same gun my brother uses it. It has lots of deer uner its belt. Great gun
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Won't be shooting anything this year in ON anyway. Used up my tag last week on a nice Doe I got with my crossbow.

In a couple weeks though I'll be in MI rocking the Remington 740 in 30.06..... it was my great grandfathers and has probably taken several hundred deer...... can't wait!
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

cprince wrote:Wow! I am surprised that no one else is admitting to a 410 side by side! The Iver Johnson is a great little gun!

If you are truly sporting and like skeet... this is what you are supposed to use!!

Craig
I have a 410 side by side in my arsenal.
Double hammers, double triggers..
Breaks totally in half.
Fit's under most trench coats without issue.

Also include:
Winchester model 94 30-30.
Remington 1100 12 gauge.
Benelli Super Black Eagle II 12 gauge

That's it, that's all.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

cgates wrote:
Robert Goulet wrote:You all have some really nice rifles...I am envious.

I'll be using my old trusty sporterized .303 British mark IV that will be loaded up with 160 grain Federal Premium ammo.

I am looking for a new gun for next year as I plan to keep my .303 for moose only. I had been looking at a .270 or 270 WSM but after several good conversations with people I have decided to go with a .308 Tikka or Browning in either a lever, pump or bolt.

I was dead set on some version of the 270 as I have heard great things, but due to the fairly thick bush and small amount of open fields I hunt in I was persuaded to go with something in the 30cal family. Apparently the 270 has shown a tendency to deflect off of twigs and branches rather than powering through them when in thicker cover. I have also heard that the crazy speeds that the 270 produce can make a mess of your deer if the placement of your shot is off target. However if you do happen to hunt in areas of open fields it is an absolute deer slayer and an incredible caliber to hunt with.
Just my two cents but dont pay for the name the 270 wsm is what my friend uses for moose and deer. Tikka and Brownind is all about the name i just got a 30-06 Remington for $575 out the door
I disagree that Browning is just about the name, they do make some great products with the best materials available to them. Two of us from our camp bought new riffles this summer. I bought a Browning 7mm WSM and he bought a Ruger M77 7mm Rem Mag.

When were were comparing them side by side, there was a noticable difference. The browning was deffinatly tighter on tolerances than the Ruger. Both guns are producing 2 inch 3 shot groupings at 100 yards.

Is the Browning worth the $ 300 premium for smoother action? Those that won't spend the money will always say no, and the those of us that don't mind spending money on premium products will always say yes.

If you only had $ 1500 to spend on a riffle and scope. Spend as much as you can on the scope, and less on the gun. Next is finding the right ammo that your gun shoots most accurate and then stick with that brand and style.

just my 3 and half cents (added a premium to the regular 2 cents)
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Did anyone see this about the Remmington Model 700?

My first thoughts are nobody should ever get accidentally shot, because we all make sure that the barrel is never pointed towards anyone unless they are breaking into your house.

None the less, its still a scary situation

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39762676/ns ... s-cnbc_tv/
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

cprince wrote:Wow! I am surprised that no one else is admitting to a 410 side by side! The Iver Johnson is a great little gun!

Craig
Lol. I have a .410........ But it's not legal for deer. So I'm not admitting to anything :lol:
Set-The-Hook
Participant
Participant

Post by Set-The-Hook »

I thought the .410 was legal for deer if you were shooting slugs. Does anyone know...what do the regs say?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught!