Weatherby PA-08

SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Weatherby PA-08

Post by SeaMonster »

Anyone held one of these yet? Synthetic or the upland?
I called around and haven't had any luck. I'm not expecting major quality, but I'm only finding heresay and opinions based on prejudice and nothing else.

After carying around my 32" Browning Auto-5 (dubbed "the boat anchor") for the past I don't know how many years, I am looking for an inexpensive and LIGHT repeating shotgun for walking the bush.
In fact it's kind of a search for the most light repeating 12 Ga I can find that won't break the bank. $500 is my budget new or used.

I've owned and tried all kinds over the years... Mosberg 500, Rem 870, Browning BPS, Benelli Nova, Beretta 309, Winchester 1300.... and on and on

Gotta be light, light, light. (with a 28" barrel min and 3" Mag)That is the most important factor... and price.

So that pretty much has me looking at the PA-08 (6.5 lbs) or the Ithaca Model 37 Featherlite or Ultralite. Any others I'm missing?
FowlDawg
Participant
Participant

Post by FowlDawg »

I'd go for the Ithaca. I'm a fan, my old man has had his for 40+ years and it's still solid. plus the bottom ejection makes it nice if you bring out a left handed shooter. I looked at the weatherby before i bought my BPS and found that it was cheaply made, it feel like the new Remington 887. just my 2 cents.

Chuck,
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes;
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more
- Lord Byron
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

I appreciate the opinion.

A guy in my deer camp has a Ithaca model 37 from the 50s.
I love it.
I just found out today that gun costs over $1200 new... my jaw dropped to the floor.

I wasn't sure the Weatherby PA-08 was even in Canada yet.
Where did you see it? For the weight and cost, I'm expecting a bit of cheapness I suppose.... still would like to see it at least.
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

sounds like you have already shot the best pumps out there. the Weatherby is a Turkish made gun and as such the quality is all over the place.

my .2'c. if price is the issue go with something used that is tried and true. personally I would look at the

- 870 Express. try to find an older model with the metal trigger group. mine has shot literally 1000's of rounds and no issues. be aware that some of the newer models have had some quality control issues. If you could ever find a used Wingmaster with chokes and 3" chamber you had better buy it, nuff said.
- BPS. It might be hard to find one in your price range but an excellent quality piece.
- Benelli Nova/Super Nova. lots of folks think that these pumps are the pinnacle of pump action guns.

Owning all three, personally the best shooting gun is the Wingmaster.
Barry Keicks
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

Yeah, I suppose I've tried and owned all kinds. I've liked and disliked them all for various reasons. Some I just got bored with.... My 870 Express I owned for 15 years.
I also found a Stoeger P-350 (basically a Nova knock-off) that is 6.9 lbs)
I find Benellis too big in the hands though, so already I'm doubtfull. If you walk the bush carrying an Ithaca M37 all day it's like walking with a small stick...

It's really a morbid fascination with finding the lightest 12 ga shotgun I can find. I'm counting ounces... If you cover miles and miles doing drives, you come to appreciate the lightness.

It will be a single application gun and not my only shotgun so I'm less concerned with quality... to a certain extent. If I really don't like it I won't buy it.

The absolute lightest I have found is a Benelli Ultralight (6 lbs) or a Franchi 48AL these are 26" semis, but it's a bit of a cheat since it's a shortened magazine tube and forearm and it's only 3 shots. Not to mention these are big dollars.
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

if you could go a few $'s more you really owe to yourself to check out a Winchester SX3 field. the lightest best handling auto i have ever shot.
Barry Keicks