Another Great WMU 57 Deer Season

MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Another Great WMU 57 Deer Season

Post by MLR »

Week 1 was slow with some nasty weather at the start of the week and again at the end of the week, but we managed to fill 4 tags that week.

Week 2 conditions were great, and there was only 3 of us in camp until Wednesday night. I was able to take a nice spike horn on Tuesday afternoon with my Browning BAR 7mm WSM at 250 yds out. Nice neck shot and he dropped on the spot. There were another 5 tags filled in week 2.

Over the course of the 2 weeks we must have seen 40 different deer, we let the does walk, thinned out the buck population, and took a couple of fawns off of does. We wanted to keep the does for breeding stock, and the large buck with a non typical rack was also spared for another year.

This year we only had two beagles, and they were more a pain in the arse than anything else. I think we only used them 3 days in total, but they kept the coyotes out of the camp.

Coyotes and wolves and Fishers - there were tracks and scat every where we went from wolves and coyotes. Several of us had encounters with Fisher's as well. I had one that I watched followed my tracks into my watch location, he came dangerously close to exceeding my 10 yd safety zone, and then ran up a tree and we just kept an eye on one another for the next hour, until the hunt was over for the morning.

We kept 5 deer for ourselves and the local missionary was very grateful of receiving 4 nice packages of venison.

Already looking forward to the 2011 hunt

Last edited by MLR on Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Nice to see you guys let up on the does that's what I like to see
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Thanks for sharing - and congrats on the success.
Great report of a memorable hunt!!
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Great report ! Sure seems like you fellas had a blast this season :lol: Good job !
|Dore|