My 2010 Hunting Season to date.

Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

My 2010 Hunting Season to date.

Post by Markus »

My hunting season starts with bear hunting. This year was a great year for bear numbers, but I didnt have any giant briuns coming when the season opened. So...when an averaged size bear presented itself, I decided to take it. 2 days later, a giant showed up on the cam and I regreted tagging out so early. Regardless, it was a good bear season.

Duck season was next on the agenda and I enjoyed the youth waterfowl day with my oldest daughter who downed 2 blacks. She missed quite a few birds, but she was thrilled with the 2 she dumped.

I'm still hunting ducks and it's been a great year. The highlight for me so far was a limit of greenhead drakes taken with just 6 shots which included 2 doubles.

Next up is deer season and when it comes right down to it...I'm a deer hunter before anything else. I've been working on scouting and deer sites since July and had a good pulse on the deer numbers in the area's I was hunting. Although there were some big boys at a couple of the sites, my goal this year wasn't a trophy buck...it was to harvest my first with a bow. I picked up a bow prior to the season and was determined to get one. It all came together for me early in the season and I took a small buck.

I also enjoyed taking 2 of my friends and my grandfather to my sites and camp and seeing them harvest their 2010 deer as well...no giants, but all happy hunters.

Image Image Image

Next was pheasant hunting. I didnt get out near as much as I would have liked because deer and waterfowl took up the majority of my time, but I did get out with my Vizsla "Cain" to get him his first rooster. This was definately a huge highlight for me...mostly because of the training we put in and seeing it all come together perfectly.

Rabbit numbers are definately way down.

Too many coyotes are in the woods right now. The small game numbers are way down and coyote numbers are at the peak of their cycle....hopefully the winter is hard on them this year.

Last edited by Markus on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Awesome report, thanks for sharing.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Great stuff!! Nice bear should give you plenty of peperettes!!

Thanks for sharing!

... oh... and Congs to your girl!!! I love it! My kids are a little too PETA with the hippy frigging teachers in the QC public schools these days, I am lucky they even eat meat!!

Craig
ralphie
Participant
Participant

Post by ralphie »

Great to see your still the fanatic outdoorsman working hard to be successful
Well done and as always you share and enjoy the company of friends and family
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

cprince, I love pepperete's, but bear roasts are my all time favorite cut of meat....and my families.

It's a shame the hunting heritage is decreasing so rapidly with our youth. Mentoring is extremely important and all hunters should make a point of mentoring a young hunter at some point.

raplhie, I think a lot of hunter/fishermen start out with a lot of personal goals like PB's, trophy's, limits, ect...but once past that you discover that sharing the outdoors with family and friends is the most rewarding part of the entire experience.
gethooked
Participant
Participant

Post by gethooked »

great story and pics thanks
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Markus - Enjoyed the rundown and pics. Your girl's pic with her black ducks is awesome!

In total agreement with the comment you made about sharing the outdoors - especially with one's own children. It's an investment that starts paying dividends immediately.

Cheers
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

Nice sum up!

I love it when the kids are into hunting.
pappy
Participant
Participant

Post by pappy »

Great job Makus, def a successful year!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Looks like a great hunting season compared to some people I've talked to.
And never worry about 'tagging' out too early... there's something to be said about taking the shot that 'feels' right and gives a clean kill over waiting for that "bigger" one.... But at the same time I know what you mean 8)
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Banjo, my grandfather always told me "Never pass up on an animal early in the season that you'd be thrilled with late in the season".

I'm a meat hunter 1st, but I've slowly been trying to make the change to trophy hunitng....but it's tough to do when you love cooking game as much as I do!
mwk
Participant
Participant

impressive

Post by mwk »

Looks like an impressive and very successful season of Hunting Markus, congrats.
Matt