OUCH!

LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

OUCH!

Post by LeGrand »

Man shot in face while cleaning rifle

Ottawa Citizen January 11, 2011 2:01 PM OTTAWA — A 57-year-old man from Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette accidentally shot himself in the face Monday morning while cleaning his hunting rifle.

The man was in the garage of his home when the rifle went off at about 9:30 a.m. His 28-year-old stepdaughter heard the noise from the apartment above the garage and came to his aid.

The man was transported to the Hull hospital in stable condition with serious facial injuries, but his life is not in danger.

An investigation by the MRC des Collines police determined the shot was accidental. The man stored the rifle in a locked gun locker, but left it loaded after using it to hunt caribou last December.

The man was still conscious when police and an ambulance arrived, said police spokesman Martin Fournel, and while he couldn’t talk, he motioned for a pen and paper to write a short note explaining what happened.

Police think he was standing up with the gun between his knees and the muzzle pointing up, and the trigger likely caught against his leg. The bullet entered under his chin and damaged his face but didn’t enter his brain, Fournel said.

Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette is 70 kilometres north of downtown Gatineau.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Glad to see that he checked to see if it was safe befor he put it away at the end of the days hunt :idea: :idea: :idea: :?
tinman454
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

new hunting bud !!

Post by tinman454 »

this is why you never point a gun at something unless your are going to shoot it ever!! :shock: :shock:
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

I wonder if he is going to get charged with anything.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

MLR wrote:I wonder if he is going to get charged with anything.
Under the language laws of my province, Bill 101 states the following;

-- --------------
Section 213 - Paragraph 7 -

Article 44.3 - Whereas firearms are concerned, the sound emitted from any and all firearms from a gun powder combustion reaction, the sound must be distinctively French. Bang is defined as English and clearly contravenes the intent this legislation. The sound must be Pow.
--------------------

Apparently, the gun was deported to Newfoundland and the man was fined $565.00 and ordered to take folly courses.

Craig
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

No I think shooting your self in the face is should be good
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Stupidity :idea:
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Bass Addict wrote:

Unless, it's a "botch" suicide attemp. Remember if the guy has terminal medical problems and decides to collect (for his family) the life insurance on himself, then suicide is not recognized by insurance policies, but accidental death is.

:wink:

To bad for him, if that was the case, that he did not know how to aim.

:?
gethooked
Participant
Participant

Post by gethooked »

people like that make it bad for the rest of us.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

poor guy and i feel for his family... it would be hard as the daughter to come down and see your father that way...
Panfisher
Participant
Participant

OUCH!

Post by Panfisher »

I agree with gethooked.

Yes, it is hard on his daughter and family. Yes, he will be disfigured and is lucky he is not dead.

However, the number of safe handling procedures, laws and just plain common sense this incident breaches is beyond the imagination.

The rifle was left loaded after a caribou hunt. How many miles did he travel with a loaded weapon? He then put it in his locker loaded. He started cleaning it without checking the chamber and making sure it was safe.

We have all been trained in the safe use of firearms. An incident like this will bring more questions from the anti crowd about our ability to safely handle firearms.

I find it difficult to be sympathetic.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: OUCH!

Post by DropShotr »

Panfisher wrote:I agree with gethooked.

Yes, it is hard on his daughter and family. Yes, he will be disfigured and is lucky he is not dead.

However, the number of safe handling procedures, laws and just plain common sense this incident breaches is beyond the imagination.

The rifle was left loaded after a caribou hunt. How many miles did he travel with a loaded weapon? He then put it in his locker loaded. He started cleaning it without checking the chamber and making sure it was safe.

We have all been trained in the safe use of firearms. An incident like this will bring more questions from the anti crowd about our ability to safely handle firearms.

I find it difficult to be sympathetic.
Well put....I agree.
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
TMH
Participant
Participant

Post by TMH »

Too bad Darwin didnt finish the job.. F'n idiot..
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

LeGrand wrote:
Bass Addict wrote:

Unless, it's a "botch" suicide attemp. Remember if the guy has terminal medical problems and decides to collect (for his family) the life insurance on himself, then suicide is not recognized by insurance policies, but accidental death is.

:wink:

To bad for him, if that was the case, that he did not know how to aim.

:?
In Ontario the suicide/self destruction clause is only good for 2 years...after that we will pay out. Not all companies are like this but most are.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL