hunting moose in Quebec from out of province

hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

hunting moose in Quebec from out of province

Post by hook&shoot »

Hello,
I have been tossing the idea of a moose hunt in Quebec around for a couple of years now and frusrated with the OMNR's group tag system in Ontario plus the 12 hour drive, I am looking to this fall to hunt in the zone 10 or 15 area. As a resident of Ontario I am looking for hunters who cross into Quebec to hunt, and what is required.
Thanks
Mark
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

In terms of what is required, just buy a non-resident tag. (at canadian tire or any place they sell licenses). In general you buy a tag for a specific zone, and one only.
Different zones have different regulations in term of how many tags go on a moose, and some zones have alternating years for Cow & Calf and bulls only. For the most part ist's 2 tags per moose. In most zecs it;s 3 tags per moose. Some are 2 tags.

For 2011, Zone 10 is Bull, Cow & Calf. Zone 15 is Bull and Calf.
If I remember right, Zone 10 switches back and forth each year, but Zone 15 stays the same.

There are a lot of ZECs in zone 15, some in Zone 10, and they have their own special rules, meaning slightly different seasons, or more tags required per moose. Also there are non-resident fees to hunt in ZECs as well.

In general you need to hunt as a group as you need to have enough tags to cover a moose, but you don't have to officially register as a group unless you go into a ZEC.

It sounds complicated, but it's really not. You just have to find a place to go and then get the regs from that area.
gethooked
Participant
Participant

Post by gethooked »

i hunt zone 1 need two tags for bull or calf cant get cow non res.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

SeaMonster wrote:In terms of what is required, just buy a non-resident tag. (at canadian tire or any place they sell licenses). In general you buy a tag for a specific zone, and one only.
Different zones have different regulations in term of how many tags go on a moose, and some zones have alternating years for Cow & Calf and bulls only. For the most part ist's 2 tags per moose. In most zecs it;s 3 tags per moose. Some are 2 tags.

For 2011, Zone 10 is Bull, Cow & Calf. Zone 15 is Bull and Calf.
If I remember right, Zone 10 switches back and forth each year, but Zone 15 stays the same.

There are a lot of ZECs in zone 15, some in Zone 10, and they have their own special rules, meaning slightly different seasons, or more tags required per moose. Also there are non-resident fees to hunt in ZECs as well.

In general you need to hunt as a group as you need to have enough tags to cover a moose, but you don't have to officially register as a group unless you go into a ZEC.

It sounds complicated, but it's really not. You just have to find a place to go and then get the regs from that area.
I know little about hunting laws and regs... what if you want to hunt alone? Do you have to buy the appropriate multiple tags?

Craig
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

@gethooked - Zone 1 (QC) is a different story. That one has a lottery for a cow tag, and non-residents can't enter that lottery.

@Craig - You can't hunt alone for Moose. It's one tag, one hunter. You can't buy 2 or 3 tags and do it all yourself. There are some hazy definitions of groups, and maybe a few of the gang can come and go a bit, but when it comes times to tagging and transporting, all the tags have to be there and the guys as well when it comes to registering.

Like one time I remember moose hunting, one of us had to go home for a bit in the week and we though it would hose our hunt because we weren't enough guys to cover a moose, but after reading the regs about 2 dozen times it's ok as long as at least one of the guys in the group continues hunting and all of the tags are there.

So "legally" you can hunt 1 day with a gang. They go home . You shoot moose, you use up all of the tags. Everybody goes to register it.

It's all here:
http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/publ ... dition.asp
pikefisher2009
Participant
Participant

hunting moose in quebec

Post by pikefisher2009 »

i know ill be hunting in a zec zone with 3 other guys this year and its 1 moose per 2 hunters and its all 3 this year bull cow calf,man i cant wait till october ml season for moose
pikefisher2009
Participant
Participant

Re: hunting moose in Quebec from out of province

Post by pikefisher2009 »

ill be hunting in zone one this year Gaspe cant wait
Wired leader
Participant
Participant

Post by Wired leader »

pikefisher2009 wrote:ill be hunting in zone one this year Gaspe cant wait

Only 41 days to go now.......
Dave
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

hook&shoot wrote: frustrated with the OMNR's group tag system in Ontario
no kidding, this year our camp had 6 guys apply for tags in WMU 57. 3 of us applied as a group and the other 3 applied individually. 2 of us in the group got tags (we were of the understanding that only one tag is given to a group?) and 2 individuals got tags as well.

We are already expecting to not get tags again for a long time.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

MLR wrote:
hook&shoot wrote: frustrated with the OMNR's group tag system in Ontario
no kidding, this year our camp had 6 guys apply for tags in WMU 57. 3 of us applied as a group and the other 3 applied individually. 2 of us in the group got tags (we were of the understanding that only one tag is given to a group?) and 2 individuals got tags as well.

We are already expecting to not get tags again for a long time.
Wow so 4 tags for 6 guys
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Heya Mark. How's it going bud. Any bear hunting?
Good luck with the QC moose hunt as it doesn't leave you much time. It might be a good idea to check different outfitters for info, prices and availability. At least they should have tags. Good luck with it man. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Wired leader
Participant
Participant

Post by Wired leader »

Not sure how it works in the various areas of Ontario for those that hunt there. I did not hunt before I moved out of the province.
In zone 1(Gaspe Peninsula) where I hunt and pikefisher will be this year, you can take a bull or calf with two tags(2 tags required for one moose). He entered a cow draw as did my wife and they both won this year, so the odds are good for sure....certainly given the numbers in the region.
Counting the days now....

Good luck to everyone this year!!!
Dave
Wired leader
Participant
Participant

Post by Wired leader »

Dave