Nuissance bear

Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Nuissance bear

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Well I got a call last night from my mother.
Appears that there is a nuissance bear issue at one of her rental properties.

3 bears have destroyed the chicken coop, attempted to enter the house etc.

The MNR has been called and the only advice is "You can shoot em but can't bait them" :?

So, any bear hunters here have any advice? I obviously need to go up and tag em but with very little time on my hands I am wondering.

Should I put up game cams to find out when they are coming by?
Sit out till nightfall and surprise em?

Any and ALL advice appreciated. I am not a bear hunter but they gotta go.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Nuissance bear

Post by smitty55 »

Correction Jimmy. You can shoot them but you can't get caught baiting them lol. Seriously though, bear outfitters bait all summer long, you're just not allowed to shoot them over bait out of season. In this case if you can determine with trail cams which way they come in you could set up a bait and intercept the bears as they come to the bait. That way you're not shooting them over bait.
For a start, get your mom to remove any food sources around which are bringing the bears in in the first place. Bears are ruled by their stomachs so if there is no food around they should stop coming in. Also bears don't like dogs so you and/or your mom should go to a dog groomer and collect as much hair from them as you can and spread it around the area. You could also collect dog poop from any kennel and do the same thing.That might be all you need to do.

If that doesn't help then break out the big guns. I have lots of trail cams and stands. If you want some help I'd be happy to give you a hand or at least offer some suggestions for setting up the shoot. I'll pm you my # and we can talk further. Good luck with it. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

UPDATE

The poor tenant has to go see the insurnace adjuster today.

Damn bear broke into his car (smashed the window, damaged the side etc) on Wednesday night.

Even their dogs do not keep em at bay.

MNR won't do anything, OPP won't do anything and the Municipality won't......

All a game of "Oh sorry call xyz sir"
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Where do the people live I'm sure a few people would love some meat... I have a 30-06.....Mmmmm Me So Hungy
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I wish it were that simple Chris.

Sadly the OPP, MNR etc don't have a clear answer. Meanwhile a pack of bears are terrorizing our tenants and causing serious damage.

In Quebec the Ministry would be there in a split second (I asked them their policy)....In Ontario its "You do the work, we'll collect the carcasse"