Bear Butcher

bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Bear Butcher

Post by bradford2 »

Anyone know a butcher in the area that will take a bear in September/October?
Or somewhere with a cooler that would rent space?

Going to give the bears a go this year :wink:
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Bear Butcher

Post by smitty55 »

Brad I just talked about that to Don at Don's Meats in Almonte and while he doesn't particularly like doing them he told me he will take bears. He's a good guy. 256-6801
Good luck with the bears. We started 3 baits last Monday and as of Saturday one had been hit twice by a smaller bear. I just placed an order with Bear Scents as I've heard lots of good things about their products. Plus I'm getting a pair of beaver castors from a trapper to play with. :)

Cheers and have fun. It sure is a different buzz.
Smitty

Straight shooter
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Thanks! I'll give him a call.

I just started 3 baits and will check them late this week or early next week.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I don't recall where your territory is but I don't think you're too far away right?
Did you put call baits out and if so what are you using?
Got cameras at each bait? Hopefully I'll get some good ones to post
What are you using for your main bait? I'm mostly bakery products in two stands and then dry goods in my shaker barrel. Corn, dog/cat food, and fresh air popped and flavored popcorn for now. Lots of vanilla and anise in spray bottles and plenty of jello too. And I'm going to try bear suckers for the first time this year. That should be the icing on the cake I hope.

Won't be long, September is coming soon enough. Good luck with the the bruins. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Haven't found any donuts or bakery products so right now I've just got roller barrells out with corn, oats and molasses, with lots of vanilla sprayed in the area. I will also be doing a lot of grease, and will be popping a lot of popcorn. No call baits up yet, but I could probably get some fish guts up or something......

I've got cameras at each spot, so time will tell ha ha.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

kewl... If those are new bait sites you really should put up call baits to tip the odds more in your favor.
Yea, the bakery products aren't good for for roller barrels, but they are a nice treat to leave behind. I am adding another bait soon to my bakery supplies, but if I get any excess I'll let you know. Plus I may have extra filtered fryer grease too if you like.

It cost me $60 to fill my shaker barrel, so I know how pricey it can get. If you are interested, and can find some 40kg feed bags, I have a one time bulk, fill your own bag deal for the best price you will ever get for corn now. Probably early next week. Shoot me a pm. Cheers
Last edited by smitty55 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smitty

Straight shooter
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Friend of mine butchers his bear immediately, then age cures the wrapped meat in a dedicated fridge before freezing. He also salt brines a few roasts and they are delicious. Something to consider, when it's too warm to hang without a cooler.

As for the call bait, last time we hunted bear near Killaloe, they didn't want anything to do with the fish carcasses. They had been frozen, weren't particularly foul, but the bears ignored them and hit the sweet baits instead.

We have had zero bears on camera this year since the bait went out, but they are on the farm proof positive. Rotating bait duty between two of us. The oak trees are loaded with acorns this year, and I suspect the bears are hitting them right now. Most of the fresh scat on our property is loaded with apple peels, and the trees are full of apples. It will be an easy fall for forage for the bears, esp compared to last year.

Once / if we get a customer, I will likely be in the stand a couple of times, but I'm not able to devote too much time to it this year.

Good luck fellas
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Thanks for the replies guys! I hear ya on the time thing, I'm having a hard enough time getting out to bait and get set up and hunting will be even tougher lol.

I think the call bait isn't really meant to be eaten by the bears (so I've read anyway).... just supposed to smell to high hell and bring them in to eat whatever feed you have out for em. Sounds lke yours may have worked just like that, and that I should probably put some out ha ha.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Hard to know if the fish brought them in, because there were already fresh tracks and scat when we setup.
We had three bait sites going, with a hunter on each. The fish bait was about 1/2 mile from the closest sweet bait.
The baits they hit hardest were pressed grapes from some wine making. They loved the bait but came during the night.

I heard that scooping any bear scat you can find and depositing it near your bait makes a good call bait.
The bears that hit our baits were dumping right on our bait, maybe to keep others from eating it.

Enjoy the hunt
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I almost hate to admit it lol, but I'm having a much harder time this year, and I'm sure its because of the bountiful harvest this season compared to last year specially. Apples galore, great chokecherry season too. I've seen that in the scat. I've seen some acorn and hickory nuts down too. Corn is coming on really great this year so they will be into that big time. That may be a different strategy to try if you could find a spot that's being hit.
All three of my baits have been visited, but it's very sporadic except for the coons and fishers.

Good luck guys. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Hey Smitty

Saw your post and others on OOD. Not happy to hear you aren't seeing many bears, but it makes me glad I'm not the only one being my first time trying this lol.

I was having some decent action for a couple weeks, but now (now that I can hunt lol) it's like they have totally dissapeared. Anyway, just crossing my fingers hoping they come back! Like it's been mentioned, there is a LOT of food out there for them.

Good luck!