Deer activity?

banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Deer activity?

Post by banjo »

I was just wondering if anyone has been in the bush lately to tell what state the deer are in? Have bucks grouped up yet? I don't think the rut has started, but maybe with the next week or two of frosty nights. Just wondering when people might think the doe chasing might start. I haven't seen many on the sides of roads or fields, and haven't heard about the traditional deer/ car bangups ususually signifying the rut.;-)
Has anyone had success with the bow this season? Weather has been so nice my time has been in the boat or on the bank for ducks.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Deer activity?

Post by smitty55 »

I'm just starting to see some scrapes lately but I haven't been touring around too much as I've kinda spent the last two months working my three bear baits, mostly to no avail. Probably a good time now to start some mock scrapes and/or feeders and a trail cam to see if there is some activity in your area.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

smitty55 wrote:I'm just starting to see some scrapes lately but I haven't been touring around too much as I've kinda spent the last two months working my three bear baits, mostly to no avail. Probably a good time now to start some mock scrapes and/or feeders and a trail cam to see if there is some activity in your area.

Cheers
Just got back from the deer camp and I only seen one scrap and only had one pic out of 100 of a buck. So I'd say we need some colder nights
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

cgates wrote:
smitty55 wrote:I'm just starting to see some scrapes lately but I haven't been touring around too much as I've kinda spent the last two months working my three bear baits, mostly to no avail. Probably a good time now to start some mock scrapes and/or feeders and a trail cam to see if there is some activity in your area.

Cheers
Just got back from the deer camp and I only seen one scrap and only had one pic out of 100 of a buck. So I'd say we need some colder nights
I also came across this web page
http://www.rippleoutdoors.com/hunting/d ... n-ontario/
jj-da-fisher
Participant
Participant

Post by jj-da-fisher »

just went in to put up the trail cams and have found some nice scrapes.. they were not freshened up overnight but they are starting to move!!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

That's good news. This cold makes it feel like hunting weather at least.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Moose hunted in 57 this week, sure wish it had been rifle season for deer instead. Had a big buck walk in within 30 yards. Seen lots of deer all week.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

On my drive home last night I had to stop the car to allow 2 big buck cross the road 10 and 12 pointers
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I took a quick walk in the woods this aft and saw no deer sign except 2 clumps of scat, most likely from a buck. I don't want to disturb my area too much but at least it seems like the bucks are moving around. Long range weather looks good for next week too.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

How can you tell if it's from a buck or doe.... Google it deer poop is all the same if it's clumpy it's from what they are eating.... Maybe big poop = big deer :shock:
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Lots of oak nuts again this year, the deer are thumbing their noses at the apples around the trail cams. Just to humour me they still stop by for a daily photo shoot, but barely touch the apples.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

banjo wrote:I took a quick walk in the woods this aft and saw no deer sign except 2 clumps of scat, most likely from a buck. I don't want to disturb my area too much but at least it seems like the bucks are moving around. Long range weather looks good for next week too.
How did you come to the conclusion that the bucks are starting to move around if you didn't see any, didn't find their runways packing the wet leaves down and found two spots where a deer had taken a dump?

If you have bucks, you should have seen some scrapes and rubs by now.

But I do like your enthusiastic approach to the hunt.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I am just being optomistic :-)
I am guessing there would be a greater path or disturbance if the does were coming through my area consistently. It could very well be doe crap. It is an area that tends to hold deer later in the year, like December, whereas now whatever I usually see is only moving through. During this time of year I would normally never see the same buck twice. So that is why I think the bucks are moving... that, and I need to keep my hopes up;-)