Why and what are people hunting out here?

Robert Goulet
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Why and what are people hunting out here?

Post by Robert Goulet »

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/ottawa/ ... -1.2947468

One theory is that a hunter or at least someone target practicing fired a weapon in this area of Barrhaven and it hit this house.

How is it legal to hunt in this area given its proximity to so many residential homes? Especially seeing as people are hunting with rifles.

Can anyone she's a little light on this for me...I presume they are going for deer? Coyote maybe?
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

Re: Why and what are people hunting out here?

Post by tr21chris »

Why are you blaming this on hunters??
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

tr21chris wrote:Why are you blaming this on hunters??
Exactly Chris. Some folks are much to quick to assume.

Definitely not a hunter Robert. Not a chance. There is no big game season open now. Besides, one of hunting's mantras is to always make sure of what is behind your target. Also, the bullet was up in the second story of the house so the shot was fired up at an angle. Seems much more likely to be some yahoos screwing around.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Robert Goulet
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Robert Goulet »

I'm not concerned or intersted in blaming anyone for this...what I was interested in is the fact that it is actually huntable land.

I know the area well and drive by there on a regular basis and I was very surprised to hear that it is frequented by hunters. I would have never even considered the area open for hunting. I assume that it is crown land?? If I can ever figure out how to properly navigate the crown land map I suppose I could confirm it for myself.

With respect to the comment about hunters knowing when and where to fire safely, I am 100% on board with you on that one...the overwhelming majority are good, safe sportsmen. Unfortunately not everyone that carries and fires hunting weapons falls in to that category...but that is an entirely different debate for an entirely different day.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Robert, even if it's crown doesn't mean it's legal hunting there if it falls within city limits. Someone posted some links a couple of years ago on huntable land and the restrictions within the Ottawa limits. Pretty sure you could find it on the city website.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Here's that map Robert. http://ottawa.ca/sites/ottawa.ca/files/ ... 469358.jpg The problem is that it doesn't seem to get updated very often as the city expands.

Hmmm. The article has now been edited to remove the reference to hunting in the area, and they have replaced that statement with: "Staff Sgt. Ken Bryden said it appears the bullet was shot with a small-calibre long gun." I wonder what that change is all about?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Here's another map. Still shows the bow only areas around Kanata

http://ottawa.ca/sites/ottawa.ca/files/ ... 469354.jpg
Smitty

Straight shooter
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Hunter ? ... Huh? How about all the other gun play in metro areas, might that be hunting related too? :roll:

Seems more probable that some city kid, who grew up on the 8th floor breathing car exhaust, found dad's .22 and decided to demonstrate his negative IQ coefficient to his buddies.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Out4trout wrote:Hunter ? ... Huh? How about all the other gun play in metro areas, might that be hunting related too? :roll:

Seems more probable that some city kid, who grew up on the 8th floor breathing car exhaust, found dad's .22 and decided to demonstrate his negative IQ coefficient to his buddies.
LMAO Good one. :lol:
Smitty

Straight shooter
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Ummm I'm thinking its thugs hunting gang bangers..... In this day and age with all the shootings best get your self a place out in the country side only shooting around here are the farmers at the local corner store
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

It's not huntable land, period. Hunting is not allowed there at all.

Article says 'small caliber long gun' so I'm guessing bigger than a .22 if they ruled out a handgun.

It doesn't say specifically that anyone heard this actual shot so who knows how far away it was. Those bullets fly a long ways if elevated.

Regardless, I have a hard time saying this is an issue with 'hunters'.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

bradford2 wrote:Article says 'small caliber long gun' so I'm guessing bigger than a .22 if they ruled out a handgun.
I take it the other way. It's a rifle, therefore a long gun. Small caliber is more than likely a .22. Shorts are pretty quiet so that would be the round of choice for someone shooting close to homes. Then again whoever it was wasn't too smart in the first place lol. Likely young with little firearm experience to be that careless. Unless it was done on purpose by some punk.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

There are many .22 handguns on the street though. So if they ruled out a handgun then this is why I guess bigger.

Plus, it doesn't 'look' like a .22 bullet either lol.

smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

bradford2 wrote:There are many .22 handguns on the street though. So if they ruled out a handgun then this is why I guess bigger.

Plus, it doesn't 'look' like a .22 bullet either lol.

Is that the actual bullet they found? I hadn't seen that pic before and you're right, that certainly isn't a normal looking .22 round, although the Hornet does make a boat tail bullet.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

So they say. I believe the photo was credited to the occupants facebook account though so who knows.

smitty55 wrote:
Is that the actual bullet they found? I hadn't seen that pic before and you're right, that certainly isn't a normal looking .22 round, although the Hornet does make a boat tail bullet.

Cheers