Meat Treats

smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Meat Treats

Post by smitty55 »

banjo wrote:I just tried the meat log using up some old ground venison in the freezer. It was awesome. My variations include making a weave pattern in the bacon. (it really helped it hold together) and I put some whole green onions down the middle. One mistake was not sealing the ends so most of the cheese melted out.
I will try it again in the spring if I can get some fresh fiddleheads to put in the middle.;-)
You could put a small blob of ground on each end to seal it up.
As for the fiddleheads, and I don't know how familiar you are with them, but I would absolutely par boil them for two minutes to get rid of all the crap first, as is easily seen by that dark brown water. I actually always do mine twice, the second time just one minute more before rinsing in cold water. Then cook as desired.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Right on Banjo...i think you're on to something for sure...lots of ways to modify that dish for sure. I'd like to add musrooms to the heart next time too and much like Smitty suggested, I think sealing the ends is a great way to save any cheese loss.

I enjoyed a good ole fashioned pan fried steak tonight with onions and mushrooms. I usually save the chops for the camp, but i was craving a feed.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I"ve been toying with a couple recipes.

I precooked 4 bear roasts in teh slowcooker and then removed all the bone and fat from the meat....then froze the cooked meat in serving sized ziplocks so i could use them for stews and soups.

I tried 2 over the past couple weeks

The first one, I stewed turnip/peas/carrots/red onion/green onion/barley/bear meat in a can of diced tomoato's. It turned out great.

The second one, I stewed turnip/peas/carrots/green onion/barley/bear meat in a low sodium beef broth. By far this was my fav.

Bear meat supplies are getting low...i dont want to run out before having a few kabob camfire fire nights this summer.