Dirt hole trapping coyotes.

Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Dirt hole trapping coyotes.

Post by Markus »

As much luck as i have snaring coyotes, in my opinion, dirt hole trapping them is the most productive way to catch coyotes. I've been experimenting with dirt holes for the past 2 years and have had excellent results.

Last night I visited the Gander Mountain store outside buffalo and I found the 3 in 1 tool for making these sets. I've been looking for one for a couple of years and I was about to make one....so it was a great find. I grabbed a sifting pan too, they were as cheap as everything else there. :lol:

Leg traps are very misunderstood within the non trapping community. Despite popular belief, animals do not chew their legs off. Traps are checked daily and animals are not left to suffer. I've released lots of non target catches from foot hold traps with zero leg damage....like feral cats. It simply holds the animal. Damage can be caused with misuse...like setting an oversized trap for an undersized animal or not having swivels on your chain to allow the animal to twist around.

Here's what an animal looks like in a foot hold when you roll up on it....and you can see the paw catch. We're only allowed to use traps with off set jaws or padded jaws.

Here's a look at a finshed set of mine. I use a bit of deer liver and deer hair in the hole and squirt a dab of fox urine on the backing. Coyotes cant resist it....they are thieves and have to steal the bait. And with it being so open, they feel safe approaching. I use an earth anchor to secure my trap and add 1 extra swivel and a shock spring to the chain.

Coyote control is a very important part of our property management long term plan. Not only for deer and their fawns, but for rabbits, partridge, grouse, reptiles, fox, bobcat and healthy coyote numbers and condition. We can already see the results after 3 years of keeping the pressure on them. We process all our catches and they are sent to auction and purchased by the fur buyers.

We have a very short window for dirt hole trapping because once the weather starts freezing and thawing it makes it hard to keep your sets working. Thats when i'll switch over to snares....plus snares dont have to be checked daily like leg hold traps, so it allows me to cover more area. I've already added 6 new farms and properties to my plans for this fall, so I'm looking forward to having a great season dirt hole trapping coyotes.
Butch420
Participant
Participant

Re: Dirt hole trapping coyotes.

Post by Butch420 »

Awsome report thanks for sharing, all foreign to me maybe that's why I find it so interesting...
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Amazing report!!

Thanks for the insight.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Marcus,
I echo the other lads. Very well written and lots of interesting information.

Just last night, a trapper I knew as a kid and really admired, Scott Robertson, passed away.

Cheers,
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!