Turkey Opener 2015

bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Turkey Opener 2015

Post by bradford2 »

After much anticipation today was finally the day. As with every turkey opener, work was sidelined, gear gathered and the alarm set for 3:00 am. All for a worthy cause :lol:

Last year we doubled and were done for the day after 30 minutes. Today was much longer. A buddy and I were set up long before legal. Our first action came in the form of a raccoon running full bore across the corn field. Wouldn't you know, he ended up right in our laps. Each of us got a boot in, and when he looked about to come right back my barrel was in his face and safety off. Instantly he turned and bolted. Smart move on his part lol.

Anyway, the gobbing birds quit once on the ground so we went looking for them. Next field over but only half way there we ran into another well hidden hunter so backed off to property number two.

Being late in the morning, the birds were already out in the fields. We took the long way around and set up in an area I figured the birds were headed to. Luck was on our side, as a hen got to within 10 feet and started putting. The Tom behind her was slightly alarmed, but eventually caved and took too many steps towards my loaded gun. At 35 yards he dropped like a brick.

My buddy still with a tag, we walked around again and set up. Two hours later and the birds were back again in the field and coming our way. Being still spooked a bit though they eventually saw our decoys and turned heading for the woods.

Next farm was a bust. Late in the day and with 11km on our boots we called it a hunt. Kids had to be picked up from daycare after all.

Sure was a great way to start hunting in 2015!

Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Turkey Opener 2015

Post by Out4trout »

Cong Brad, a perfect way to start the season!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

:handgestures-thumbup:
Congrats!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I was waiting for turkey updates yesterday and I was hoping you'd have a great opener! Congrats on a great hunt Brad! What are the plans with the bird? Whole roast? Turkey fry? Smoker?
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Thanks guys!

Mark the last few years I've been trimming all the meat off and grinding it into hamburger. It's some of the best (and expensive :lol: ) ground meat we've ever had haha. Jen really likes it this way so that's what I did this year too lol.

If I get another, I may do something different. I'm a big fan of turkey snack sticks.
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

Sweet report! I must admit am a bit envious. I got my private land plans yanked out from under me last week thanks to a change of heart by the owner (turns out his son wants to hunt after all). Not sure what I'm going to do now. I spent quite some time time scouting that land in March, not to mention driving out there (it's in Lombardy, on Big Rideau, and I live in the east end of Ottawa). I may have to roll the dice with public land. Please say a prayer or two for me!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Congratulations... from sighting in to eating in. Do you do anything with the tail fan?
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Nah I don't keep the tails. I have no room to put them up really anyway. I pretty much just keep the beards, and meat lol.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

I made this to put a on the wall a few years ago... I'll just keep saving beards until I have enough to do another one. With two empty shells from last year since the mice took my beards lol.

Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

Nice one Brad, Do you mix the meat when you grind or is it all wild turkey.
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Good shot !
Enjoyed the report.
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

Right on man nice Tommy right there!
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Mmm looks good. Nice shootin!