Clean shorts?

smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Clean shorts?

Post by smitty55 »

I'd rather not find out myself, lol. I bear hunt, and the one ground adventure I had sure had my heart pounding so hard I was sure the bear 50ft away could hear it. I was late getting to my stand and we both came in at the same time from different directions. I froze, he stopped for a bit and then cautiously proceeded to the barrel. I heard him hit it, so then I laid my gear down and tried a slow stalk to see if I could get to a shooting lane. Took ten minutes to move 50ft. I could see the movement at the bait through the brush, but no shot. Then, it's all quiet for a while and I see him sneaking in my direction. At one point I had a lane, but it was a head on shot so I wasn't going to take that. He finally veered off and left, only to return an hour after dark.

The point is, that bear wasn't the least bit aggressive. This one in the vid isn't scared one bit of 3 guys. Big kudos to the hunter to stay cool and wait until the bear turned so he could take the right shot into the boiler. And for the camera guys for doing the job and getting the shots.

There's no rush quite like bear hunting. It sure has that extra buzz that you don't get with deer. I bet Markus has some good stories.

Enjoy the vid, and try and envision yourself in that situation. I watched it 5 times in a row hehe. I bet that guy sure was glad he had a rifle back up. With only a bow that could have been a different outcome. Scary stuff.

Smitty

Straight shooter
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Clean shorts?

Post by Markus »

Thats a tough call at that point. I dont think the bear was going to be aggressive, but due ot hom not backing down or showing any fear, it was the right call. At that distance, you couldnt risk an attack...he'd be on you fast. I do question the bullet placement though...risky! He could have easily ended it at that rang with a head shot....but i'm guessing he didnt ant to damage the skull mount.