hit a deer

bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

hit a deer

Post by bostonwhaler »

Hey Folks. Hit a deer tonight on my way get a 6 pack ( no joke) frig. anyway hit it at 8:30 pm, had it home and field dressed by 10:30. its hanging in my garage, any tips on what to do till tomorrow when I can get it to a butcher would be awesome.
Hollywood catches more perch than me
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: hit a deer

Post by Markus »

Get the hide off it asap to help cool it down.

Was it difficult to obtain a permit? I've always wondered how it's done in your area. Does the OPP issue the permit or do they need to cal the mnr?
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

I just took it . Opp was happy I took it
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Does the butcher need any special paperwork to have it in his cooler? I would imagine you'd need some sort of storage permit yourself. I know here in NS, the driver always has first option at keeping the deer, but they need a permit.

The meat is a good score. Hopefully not too much damge to your vehicle!
Last edited by Markus on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

guys, I was looking for help on what to do with the meet, not wonder about the permit
]
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I think it says how to keep the meat cool on the back of the permit. :D :wink:

As a hunter rule one is following the rules, otherwise we get called out on Jimmy Kimmel. Rule two is making sure the game gets its full use. Keeping the carcass cool is imperative. Rotate bags of ice in the deer cavity might help. I am no expert. A few years ago I hit a bear on my way to a fishing weekend. I didn't know what to do with it... And wouldn't have had the means to keep it cool, so I let the tow truck driver have it.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

Meat is in the freezer. No permit required. OPP helped me load it into my vehicle .Lol.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Great to hear you got it taken care of and its in the freezer. Shame to let it go to waste. good stuff.

I'm not trying to argue, but I did look it up for you on the MNR website and you do need to register it with the MNR. As per their site...

When you need to register
Large mammals
This group includes:

black bear
white-tailed deer
moose
American elk
woodland caribou
Additional rules may apply to woodland caribou (forest-dwelling boreal populations) under the Endangered Species Act.

Yes, you need to register a large mammal
If you:

find the wild animal dead (e.g., roadkill)
are a landowner or wildlife agent protecting property who has lawfully killed a black bear in protection of property

Here's the link, it has the registration process.

http://www.ontario.ca/environment-and-e ... ild-animal
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

Thanks for the link .Im sure I won't have a hard time as the OPP officer loaded it into my Dads SUV .Lol .
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Its not only "to stay out of trouble", there's a lot of good data they calculate into heard and harvest models.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

I agree with Markus 100%! Although the OPP are aware you should follow the proper procedure and notify MNR. Like mentioned its for herd counts and other data they keep track of , no trouble will come out of it.

Glad you were able to get the meat to the freezer, enjoy!
Ontbullet
Participant
Participant

Post by Ontbullet »

MNR could care less. Our deer herd is now managed by the staff in Peterborough and the camp surveys etc are no longer going to be issued from what I understand.
I also hear the eastern Ontario deer advisory board made up of some knowledgeable people and the MNR was shut down. The people of this board instead of working with the local MNR as a team is now going to work on their own and send their recommendations to Peterborough.

There is some MNR officers that really care but for the most part the staff levels have been reduced so much they don't have the resources, time or funding to do much of anything.
Houner
Participant
Participant

Post by Houner »

WRT what to do with the meat... I've heard that making sausage out of blending the venison with pork is the way to go. I'm not a hunter, so I've never done this myself, but I heard the fat in the pork helps offset the lean game meat of the deer.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Houner wrote:WRT what to do with the meat... I've heard that making sausage out of blending the venison with pork is the way to go. I'm not a hunter, so I've never done this myself, but I heard the fat in the pork helps offset the lean game meat of the deer.
You're correct. Usually in the 25% range. Otherwise the sausage would be like eating sawdust. Best ones I ever had made were bear/venison and they still needed pork added.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

HA!

Our tenants shot a black bear attempting to get into the house..(entered sunroom and not detered by 2 very large dogs).

MNR insisted they take the carcass.