First Year Hunting

Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

First Year Hunting

Post by Lenny »

Hi All,

Just a few questions from a first year hunter. I've done plenty of reading and I have spent lots of time outdoors but have a few questions. I plan on hunting mallards and ruffed grouse to get started. I have read some info about American Black Ducks and Wood Ducks being frowned upon to shoot, would you all agree with that? I'm good with bird ID so I know not to shoot mergansers or other fish eating diving ducks.

Firstly, from looking at maps it seems Crown Land is pretty limited. Two areas that stuck out are Larose forest and the Calabogie/Ompah area. Are these areas worthwhile? Or are they overrun with hunt camps/people? I know this is a shot in the dark; if anyone has any farmland that they are looking to have hunted for Canada/Snow Geese or Ducks I'd be happy to do labour (tree planting, pruning, or other odd jobs) in exchange.

Lastly- any words of wisdom for a newbie?

Cheers,

Lenny
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: First Year Hunting

Post by Out4trout »

Lenny wrote:I plan on hunting mallards and ruffed grouse to get started.
Good choice, but hunt ducks and Grouse... don't limit yourself to Mallards.
Lenny wrote:I have read some info about American Black Ducks and Wood Ducks being frowned upon to shoot, would you all agree with that?
Absolutely not. Just stay in your Black Duck bag limit... Woodies are FUN, rewarding and challenging to hit. Great eating both. Woodies are a favourite here.
Lenny wrote: I know this is a shot in the dark; if anyone has any farmland that they are looking to have hunted for Canada/Snow Geese or Ducks I'd be happy to do labour (tree planting, pruning, or other odd jobs) in exchange.
Lots of hunting land - but you will have to knock on doors. My experience - knowing a few people goes a long way. Ducks, I recommend sticking to marshes and small lakes.
As for helping, not likely going to sway anyone. Most farmers aren't looking for help unless they know your work.
Lenny wrote:Lastly- any words of wisdom for a newbie?
Get out shooting clays ahead of the season. Hitting flying Woodies and Teal is a learned skill. Don't stop the gun during the trigger pull. Learn to lead and estimate distance. Don't shoot if too far away, nothing pi$$es off other waterfowl hunters sharing the waterhole than people not waiting for proper range. Goose, Mallards and Black ducks are a lot easier.

Good luck and have fun
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Good advice from out4trout some of the same points I was going to mention he covered.

Look at marshy areas,riverbanks, small ponds etc.... Ompah there's not much, most of the easily accessible lakes have campsites that are used until November, some of the more remote lakes you could try I guess if you have an atv but I'm up there all the time and I can honestly say I don't see many ducks/geese at all.

Practice practice practice is my advice. One of the most enjoyable forms of hunting IMO.....good luck!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Lenny, are you doing this solo or have you got a bud? Two guys can do 3 times what one guy can. And a duck blind can make lifelong friends. :D

One thing I will add to a good list is to maintain your firearms well, and they will treat you right. And could well last a lifetime for you.
One more thing hehe. Learn to sit still and be quiet, and when still hunting, slow down, slow down, and stop, look and listen.

Have a good first year. I'm sure you'll learn plenty. Haven''t noticed lots of grouse this year, but the waterfowl population is healthy I think, specially geese. Btw, you can hunt ducks on most lakes and rivers with public access around this area. I can hear them on the Miss sometimes, and that's 6km south of me. If you have a boat or canoe even, and you're willing to put the work into it, then have at 'er lad. But you need a bud. Just check local regs, like around cities for discharge laws. Things change over time. We used to have great hunts on Constance Lake and even Shirley's Bay for a while.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
whoodatguy
Participant
Participant

Post by whoodatguy »

If you are doing swamps and marshes get yourself a good pair of waders or you wont be out there long! If you want to try farm land you need to bang on peoples doors. The worst they will say is "NO". Offer them some meat in exchange or have the Mrs bake a tasty banana bread even. Just make sure should you get the OK that you respect his land. Pick up empty shell casing. If you are using a semi-auto cases can go a good distance, once you are done your cut pick them up unless you see another round coming in or in your site. Don't leave garbage of any sort. Make it look like you weren't even there.

Also dont shoot something that you may just wound. Set your decoys to your best shooting distance. Don't be trying to tag one at 50 yards if you aren't using the right equipment or comfortable making that shot.

Have Fun!

Oh and bring lots of shells!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Don't get discouraged and find a mentor!

You may not get a single duck or grouse your first year out (or even your second). I am in my 11th year hunting deer and still haven't got my first (and it's not from lack of trying!!! Thank god for turkey, geese, rabbits, etc. etc. etc. or I would have an empty freezer!).

Also - Where are you?
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Out4Trout- Thanks so much! Great advice. Good to know about shooting within range and the etiquette side of it. From my experience in the outdoors I definitely know what you mean about wood ducks being skittish. (except the ones at Mud Lake)

Troutskii- Looking forward to exploring! I'm a trout fisherman so I can certainly relate to the excitement of exploring and finding my own spots. Can't wait! The adventure and map reading is always half the fun- and super rewarding when a plan pays off.

Smitty- I have a buddy going to school in Perth this fall who I went to University with that got me into it and talked to Flewdogg about going hunting as well. Can't wait to get out, and I'll report back about our success/lack of success. I've seen a lot of ruffed grouse in Algonquin which is off limits for hunting. I can see how the ones in the forest would be tough to hit, they really come out of nowhere.

Whoodatguy- Glad I can put my waders to good use! Good advice about the ethics of using private land. I have permission on a steelhead creek and a case of beer and my picking up garbage that floated onto their property keeps them happy.

scarkner- I'm sure your persistence will pay off! I'm in Ottawa. Turkeys sound like lots of fun but I'm going to do my course this fall. What a cash grab! Hard to believe people have such a hard time telling between a tom/jake and a female. I'm trying not to set my expectations too high, but I'm still hopeful we can at least bag some ducks/geese. Not quite as confident about ruffed grouse!

Cheers,

Lenny
burns
Participant
Participant

Post by burns »

Although the turkey course may just seem like a cash grab at first it is a great learning experience. I took mine in Perth a few years ago, the instructor had been hunting turkey in the USA before they were even reintroduce into Ontario. He covered bird Id , hunting techniques and tactics, and safety. Watching him use the calls and being able to get advice was worth the money in itself plus there was a co there at the end to ask questions to. Only going on my second year of waterfowl hunting my advice would be pick up a call and start practicing then practice some more. If your into fishing then summer is a great time to try new lakes and you will find lots of spots to hunt, just remember to check the local regs before you head out. Good luck this fall !
RVOTom
Participant
Participant
Location: Smiths Falls (or in a corn field or boat somewhere)

Post by RVOTom »

Don't limit yourself in what you hunt, try different things to find out what you will enjoy the most. For waterfowl keep it simple and learn to ID birds on the wing. Wood ducks are the king of the marsh here and are excellent table fare. Grilled teriyaki wood duck breasts are mouth watering.

Scouting is the key with any hunting so what you put in at the start you'll get back in the end. Grab binoculars and hit the road or water and you'll find what you are looking for.