duck blind etiquette

flewdoggII
Participant
Participant

duck blind etiquette

Post by flewdoggII »

I am going to be hunting for ducks and geese in the Mississippi Lake and River area this fall. Haven't hunted there before. Is it generally accepted that if you find a blind it's the owner's for opening day only and after that it's fair game (first come first served)? That's what I've heard the etiquette is but would like to know before I go angering old men carrying shotguns. :?

Thanks for any insight!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: duck blind etiquette

Post by banjo »

That is the common etiquette. That said it will p!ss some people off... What can you do...
I usually offer to create some space in the blind for the builder and they are welcome to join. Only had them take that up once, they usually move on. I have also been in a blind and the builder showed up about half way thru the decoy setup, and said his sons were getting off work early and joining him, and there wasn't much room for all of us... After a long moment pause, I said I would move on, he smiled shook my hand. It's best to choose your moments.
Sometimes waders and portable camo and burlap is best and can open up new spots for you.
Good luck.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Well said Banjo.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

If I built it wouldn't it be mine!!!! Go build your own the way I see it unless the thing looks abandon
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

So you build a blind to hunt from and then its first come first serve?? lol Thats sound ludicrous to me. :lol: I agree, co build your own. I can see using it if no one's there, but my gawd...if the guy that built it shows up, just move on. That makes more sense to me.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I have to assume we are talking about crown land, or on the water. Noboby owns that. Building a blind shouldn't create ownership. I have built blinds in the past, and never kicked others out from using it. If someone has the right to build it, someone else would technically have the right to set up right in front of the blind without technically using it. Should they move on and pick up dozens of decoys, and ruin their hunt? If we translate it to deer hunting on crown land... piling a bunch of brush to sit next to doesn't make that spot un huntable to other hunters when you come along and say... I piled those there... it's my spot.
It is neat to see others opinions on such unregulated things, it makes me less shocked when guys set up duck hunting 50 meters from me, or tell me to leave a deer spot because they are running dogs through.
On another note... when is it OK to post your spot for opening day? Labour day? First of summer? Day after last season?
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

Go build your own blind and hang your name on it and say you'll be using the blind all fall. I wouldn't be impressed if I spent time finding a spot and building a blind and some guy, who has made little effort took it over.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

That's the way the "law" reads guys, so be it. Not that I can find the actual reg. :oops: So if someone builds a blind and only goes Saturday mornings then no one should be allowed to use it ever? Granted there should be a respect factor involved, but hunters who build a blind on crown land or public waters are aware of the law when they do it. After opening weekend just be there first.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

I remember a long time ago someone told me that the blind builder has exclusive use of the blind on the opener and maybe the next Saturday. The theory being that most people hunt only the opener. Due to that "rule" I often hunted Lake Mississippi on weekdays and back then there were probably 8 blinds out and usually less than 3 were used during the week. So there was room for anyone.
Last year my son and I made a good blind with a floor on the Rideau and have been in the exact same spot for about 5 years.
We do not mind others using it if we are not there but we do have a sign on the outside saying we will be using it every Saturday, and we do. One day my son showed up well before first light but later than usual and someone had their boat blind about 20 feet from the blind.
When my son went to use the blind, the fellow said "you are a little close to me".
He must have thought our blind was in a good spot and that is why he set up so close but if we do not use the blind basically we cannot hunt.
Although as someone said, all the water is available to everyone, just a little respect would have had this fellow set up 100 yards away.
He had obviously seen our blind before he set up. Not sure what he was thinking.
David
Buckshot
Participant
Participant

Post by Buckshot »

Super

Building a blind on crown land does not give you exclusive rights to a specific spot on crown land for the whole season or every Saturday. I am sure others had hunted where your blind is in the past. It is only fair on public land (crown land) to allow everyone a fair shot at hunting the property. Traditional duck hunting etiquette allows you to lay claim to your spot for opening day. But it is unrealistic to lay claim every Saturday. I have been in the situation you have been in and I was diapointed but moved on as they have just as much right to that land as I. my experiences suggesting a 100 yards away would just ruin both hunts. I like to work birds and someone 100 yards away would take away from that and it would also affect there hunt.

Just my two cents
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

I'm just glad the same does not apply to all permanent Ice Hutts! Sounds like a boat blind is the way to go!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

riverdog wrote:I'm just glad the same does not apply to all permanent Ice Hutts! Sounds like a boat blind is the way to go!
Ha I get it put up a door and lock it.... I have way to much respect for others I guess. If I did t build it I would never use it same goes for tree stand when deer hunting
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Respect goes both ways.
Respect for not using something that isn't yours... I get it.
But there is also respect to other hunters to allow access to opportunities that we all have the right of use. There isn't much respect in hogging a spot on a waterway as your own.
I own a boat dock. Should I tell bass guys (that haven't put the WORK into building a dock) that they should find their own dock to fish under... that this in mine, reserved every Saturday during bass tournaments. I don't think so.
Sharing is caring :D
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

banjo wrote:Respect goes both ways.
I own a boat dock. Should I tell bass guys (that haven't put the WORK into building a dock) that they should find their own dock to fish under... that this in mine, reserved every Saturday during bass tournaments. I don't think so.
Sharing is caring :D
I bet you would have something to say if they were standing on your dock fishing or laying out on it sun tanning... The difference is you own the dock not the water around it. I don't hunt (hoping to start) but I found it weird the rules around duck blinds. I know if I built a blind it would be like an ice shack locked up. Folks may set up in front of it or around it but not in it unless the choose to break in. Anyways I didn't want to post again on this topic but your dock explanation made me lol...
Best of luck to all you bird hunter!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

riverdog wrote:I know if I built a blind it would be like an ice shack locked up.
Now that made me laugh. Never heard of or seen such a thing. The thing is Riverdog, most duck hunters know and expect it and don't flip out when other duck hunters are using "their" blind. That's the way it's always worked. It's kind of a mutual sharing and respect among waterfowlers, because they know it works both ways. Besides, it legally doesn't even belong to the person who built it. Some guys will leave notes on their blinds to inform others which dates they expect to be using it, but even then it's sort of a hope thing that others will respect that. But you still better show up early or someone else has every right to use it and likely will, as blinds tend to get put in the good spots.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter