Deer Season 2015

Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Deer Season 2015

Post by Markus »

With bears in full swing, we thought it was time to get some deer sites rolling too. Tim's season is open, but he likes to wait until the bucks rub off before he starts chasing them. Last week we activated 3 of of 5 sites. We wanted to start scouting and also see if we can start getting them coming regularly. We've checked a few cams and we're off to a good start....I always get excited to see the first deer pics of the season.

LH Site - We have a pop up ground blind at this site and so far we've ID a young spike and a yearling doe.

Z Stand - We havent decided on a set up here this year...we're torn between a pop up blind or a hang stand. I set this site up as a meat stand for my daughter to hunt...and i was hoping there would be a buck or two back there for me to chase as well. Just a doe/fawn team and a yearling doe so far.

AC Stand - We moved our ladder stand here to a new angle and we still have a decent buck thats been coming to the mineral we've had here. He's a small 10pt...maybe an 11 if his small kicker doesnt rub off.

I'm looking forward to bow season starting in a couple weeks and I'm dusting off the compound today for a bit of target practice.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Deer Season 2015

Post by ShawnD »

Awesome!
Always look forward to your posts.

Thanks
Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Looks like a good start.
I haven't found as much time to bow hunt recently as I used to, but I sure enjoy it. The whole waiting to see, then draw, then shoot without being noticed is great. Out of curiosity what broadhead, do you use, and do you like it. I had been using Spitfire mechanical ones and got my last archery deer with them, worked great and have a few left. Just wondering if there is a newer or better product out there? Any idea if mechanical broadheads work well with crossbows? I have an Excalibur I picked up a few years back for those wintery -25 C hunts, but have yet to shoot it at a deer. So far I have only carried the broadheads that came with the package, and an uncle of mine nabbed a moose with his, and he said the broadhead shot that they created was kinda small compared to others.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Honestly Banjo, I'm still using the same broadheads i purchased in 2009....and I cant remember the brand. Something tells me they are Rage fixed broadheads, but i'm not 100% sure. They've been good to me.

One week until opener...and I cant wait. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to start with deer or bear on Monday. I may have my buddy and his wife hunt one of my bear stands and i've invited my uncle to hunt one of them as well. I may crawl into the 3rd stand....or i may put a hunt on the 10pt we have coming to one site. All depends on the last round of cam updates this coming week I guess.

The deer sites are just getting underway. We only have 3 of the 5 activated and although we're getting a few pics, it's pretty much been a doe show at 2 of them and a single buck at the 3rd.

RR Stand - The 10pt comes nightly...at last light, or just after. I'm hoping he's rubbing off this week. We also have a small jerk bear hitting the apple pile back here too.

LH Stand - Good steady action here, but it's just a resident yearling doe, a spike and a big mature doe coming. The deer havent started moving much as of yet, so we likely wont see many new faces for another 3 to 4 weeks.

Z Stand - I love this remote boat access site, but it's always been a doe show. This year is no different. No bucks pictured here yet, but with the amount of action coming here, my daughter will have a good spot to use her doe tag if she choses to.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Love the pictures and reading about all that goes into a seccesfull hunt! Thanks for sharing!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I have been having fun collecting pictures from a camera that was left out all summer (amazing how the batteries last now!!!).

Checkout this series of growing antlers... there are at least two big bucks on the property, I am pretty sure these are all the same one, but honestly the two are almost interchangeable.

Little velvet nubs

The nubs are now branching nicely

Becoming a sizeable "rack"

The perfect pose (sorry it's so dark)
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Those are fantastic bucks. Hope you get a crack at them!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Nice.
I ventured into the trail cam world this year with a couple cheap Moultrie units. Pictures aren't the clearest, but it sure is neat to see does walk back and forth daily at my spot. Unfortunately, no bucks on cam yet, but maybe once the rut swings in full. No doe tags this year, so maybe I can send all my photos of does to the MNR. :)