Turkey Recovery!!!

scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Turkey Recovery!!!

Post by scarkner »

After seeing a wonderful (and carefully managed) flock of turkeys grow to around 30-35 members, it was disapointing over the last two years to see coyotes move into the area and decimate the flock. This spring we had just one big male and three hens left (I could have shot the tom, but just couldn't bring myself to given the small size of the flock).

The coyotes seem to have moved on...

The rewards seem to be good so far, the hens all had poults that are doing great and the flock is already back up over a dozen birds again.

I love this picture, the next generation...

Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Turkey Recovery!!!

Post by Troutskiii »

Glad to hear there coming back strong always nice to see.

There seems to be an overwhelming amount of turkeys around our place this summer, have seen big flocks 60+ in the back fields multiple times. Turkey will have to wait until spring for me as I'm getting ready for deer and bow season.

Cheers,
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Just out of pure curiosity... 60+ you say??? Please provide full GPS coordinates so I can... um... verify your story :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

These ones come to dust bathe in my backyard daily.
Filmed yesterday from my bedroom window.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/70937256@N08/h9Q22u
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

scarkner wrote:Just out of pure curiosity... 60+ you say??? Please provide full GPS coordinates so I can... um... verify your story :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
60 is a regular sight we have seen 100-150 bird flocks in farmers fields in the area we live.

They also eat the sunflower seeds that fall under our feeders out back, you can walk right up to them almost to the point of petting them. They tend to stick close to the house during the winter months in the thick cedars for shelter and a regular food source.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Predator control needs to be a part of your management plan. Get a trapper in there and put some pressure on the yotes. It's not only them, fox and raccons are very hard on them too.
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

to quote my wife "No hunting from the big hide!" :)

nice video!