Waterfowl Youth Heritage Day Hunt

Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Waterfowl Youth Heritage Day Hunt

Post by Markus »

My oldest daughter is off to college now and too old for the youth Heritage Day hunt, but my youngest is 16 and still qualifies, so we fixed up the duck blind and hit the marsh yesterday morning. My buddy joined us as well to loan some support.

Up at 4am for a good breakfast and in the blind by 6am waiting for the 6:27 legal shooting time. We enjoyed a thermos of coffee while we waited for the sun to peak over the hills. When the time came...Spencer was ready and she started throwing some steal at the birds.

Without a doubt, these are the nicest nails we've had in the duck blind in the past 30 years. lol

There were a couple lost birds in the grass, but they put some time in and found them! We left the dog home today so Spencer could be focused on the gun work, but we could have used a good sniffer for these 2 birds.

With the warm weather, blue skies and no wind...we knew the hunting would be over as fast as it started. We packed in around 9am and headed out.

Another great Heritage Day in the books. I love looking back at all the pics from this day with my girls. Duck hunting is a very social hunt, so they always enjoy it too. Fun day!

Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Waterfowl Youth Heritage Day Hunt

Post by Troutskiii »

Great way to spend the day with family, congrats on the shooting.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Nice. I see a couple mallards, a black? & is that a Gadwall?
As much as I enjoy a pot full of mallards, a mixed bag is always more fun.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I miss the mixed bags we use to get on Lake Eire.

Her limit was made up of 1 GW teal, 1 black, 3 hen mallards and 1 hybrid black/mallard.