Cheap idea for goose floaters, tell me what you think!

qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Cheap idea for goose floaters, tell me what you think!

Post by qcconnection »

So, novice is putting it lightly when it comes to describing my waterfowl hunting experience.

I shot 2 nice black ducks a couple of years ago, and that`s been it. Due to different circumstances, I never had time to hunt.

Anyways, I was thinking about how to rig up some goose floaters on the cheap. I was looking at the CT website, and saw a 3 pack of canada shells.

Here`s the idea. Gluing a piece of styro foam to the bottom, and painting it black, would that be something that would work? I`m thinking about giving it a go.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Cheap idea for goose floaters, tell me what you think!

Post by Troutskiii »

If you search on kijiji you can always find goose/duck decoys for sale. Sometimes people like to sell them in a bigger lot, 50-100 at a time but some people will sell 5-10, would be your best bet.

Cheers
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

Of course I have tried the Styrofoam and they were way to light, if there was any wind
You will need some weight too or they take off on you.
David
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I did almost the same thing and they worked OK.

I used a looped wire/washer combination on the styrofoam and small bungee cord so you reach up inside the shell to clip on the styro which was cut to perfectly fit the perimeter of the shell. So you could quickly convert them between floaters and field.

I did this more for storage than cheap (but cheap played a big part). The shells are great for stacking/storing, something you will lose if you glue the foam in place.

Details can be found in this post I made (on ontario out of doors).

http://www.oodmag.com/community/showthr ... o-Floaters
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Just checking out that old thread, I forgot that some people said you can just take the black foam insulation that they sell for copper pipes and put it around the edge (it even has adhesive on it already). Apparently they will still stack and it doesn't prevent you using them in the field.

I never tried the pipe idea, but you might want to.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Seems like it could work. I have always found that good calling can make up for lackluster decoys. Then again, great decoys sometimes require little calling. Good luck.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

UPDATE!!!

Tried out the pipe insulation idea. Went to CT, bout some eye bolts, pipe insulation and gorilla glue.

Glued on the pipe insulation, drilled a small hole in the back, put the eye bolt through, attached some left over decoy cord and a spare weight I had.

I let the glue cure for a few hours before putting the eye bolt in. It seemed ok. Took a few out yesterday morning to a pond on a cut hayfield and set 3 up in the water and 3 in the field ( 25 yards apart ). Nothing was moving, but the floaters actually worked perfectly.

Thanks for your help guys, I`ll post pictures this weekend when I have time of what they look like!!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Great to hear!

Let me know if you need company :-)