Deer scent

smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Deer scent

Post by smitty55 »

Out4trout wrote:Good point Smitty - let us know what you find out. I'd like to use fresh tarsals if legal
No law against leaving deer parts in the bush so long as no meat is wasted. :wink: I wouldn't worry about it in the least myself. We all know that there's not a chance in hell that we'd be spreading CWD, let alone ever get checked for it lol.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Prior to the ban, I harvested tarsals, and bottled deer urine from both bucks and does during gutting (when possible). One of the few in our group who bow hunts, I then mixed the two and stored in the fridge. Soaked glands were used during ML, and the liquid mix was frozen for next year Oct bow season.

I stopped the practise when the law changed, perhaps can still use tarsals, but likely not the home brew bottled.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

Shot in the dark here, but what about using other animal urines, glands for trapping?

I`m not familiar with the Ontario regulations.

My grandfather used to make some sort of Muskrat love juice out of parts of a muskrat back in the day here in Qc.

I have used fresh tarsals before and man, they seem to do the trick.

Another question, have you guys had much luck with the synthetics? How do the deer react as opposed to non synthetic urine?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

So I finally got through to the MNR. Got passed around some as they didn't seem sure about the tarsals. Finally she came back with the wording from the act itself and said that even though technically it wasn't a "product", seeing as the tarsals contain glandular fluids from a Cervid they would not be deemed legal for use, partially because they have no control over the possible movement from one area to another. Basically, any attractant cannot contain parts of a cervid.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Thanks Smitty. That's how I read the regulations too.
I have only been using the synthetic stuff sold around for the last few years and have had little success with it. Last year I decided to save the hassle and went with the synthetic burn sticks. I was very skeptical but had success with a small buck that came in from the same direction I had one of those sticks burning, so it would have had to walk right past it. I don't know if it attracted the little guy or just masked my scent... either way, I bought some more for this year.