Deer scent

banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Deer scent

Post by banjo »

Does anyone know if any local shops in the Ottawa area carry this deer scent?

Years ago I got some from Manotick Bait and it certainly worked. I wouldn't mind trying it again.

Also, is there anything people use and swear by? Last year I used a couple of those smoking sticks... they didn't hurt, but I wasn't convinced they were the best.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Deer scent

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Banjo

Order direct man

http://www.jamesvalleycompany.com/
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I might... but $11 shipping for an $12 US product, is a bit much, if a case of this is sitting somewhere close by. (shipping cost seems to be the same for 1 jar or 100 jars :roll: )
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Mostly only synthetic scents available here since the natural product use ban in Ontario, CWD.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Like Len mentioned those products are not legal to use in Ontario. Legal to own, but better not get caught with that product on your person when you're hunting.
Gotta love their marketing though. " tops for pre-, full- and post-rut periods." and "Start using 3-4 weeks before he peak of the rut in your area." Better buy lots hehe.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Aha. I see that in the regs.
That's probably why places don't have that. It was probably 10-15 years ago that I got that stuff and was legal then. Probably why it worked so well. I guess hanging the tarsal gland of a freshly killed deer is out of the question now too.
I guess it's back to the soapy smelling stuff they sell at Crappy Tire. :lol:
I just noticed that James Valley scents sells barbeque sauce too... maybe it's a special BBQ mix to get around different laws. Deer attracting BBQ sauce. JK :P
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I use Tink 69. And I've had a 8pt buck come out on me and he had his nose right into the hanging strip full of the stuff when I took him down. So I've sworn on that stuff ever since.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Isnt tinks 69 illegal to use as well?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Used to buy it a CTC? I guess I never thought that they would sell illegal stuff? Guess I'll get rid of all my leftover bottles then. Is this a new regulation? I haven't hunted in 6-7 years so maybe it was legal back then and that is why CTC had it for sale?
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Funny enough it's not illegal to sell or own, just to use it in Ontario. Just like they still sell snare wire every winter, but it's not legal to use south of the French River I believe.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Tinks 69 is banned also you are correct Markus, ban came into effect for majority of deer attractants in 09-10 I believe?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

banjo wrote:I guess hanging the tarsal gland of a freshly killed deer is out of the question now too.
No problem with that I would think. I've certainly never heard that before.The CWD problem relates to anything associated with game farms, which is where the diseases propagate.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Lots of people do still harvest urine and tarsals from the first deer kill and use for attractant on their own property, but unfortunately that too is illegal now. I believe the reason is the law is written in a way that it doesn't have to be modified if/when CWD becomes prevalent here in Ontario.

Excerpt

Attractants
In order to prevent the introduction of Chronic Wasting Disease, products that contain bodily fluids (urine, gland oil, feces, saliva, etc.) of a member of the deer family (including
deer, moose, and elk) are not permitted to be possessed or used for the purposes of hunting in Ontario.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Out4trout wrote:products that contain bodily fluids (urine, gland oil, feces, saliva, etc.) of a member of the deer family (including
deer, moose, and elk) are not permitted to be possessed or used for the purposes of hunting in Ontario.
I'm still not sure on that one Len.To me "products" denotes something that is produced for sale, unlike using a part of wild animal that was freshly killed. I could well be wrong, but I'll have to look into that further. Too bad that "ask a CO" isn't available anymore. Maybe a phone call to Kemptville will work.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Good point Smitty - let us know what you find out. I'd like to use fresh tarsals if legal