Seeking shotgun advice

sgtMeowsteen
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Seeking shotgun advice

Post by sgtMeowsteen »

I'm looking to buy my first shotgun and would like to get something I can use for everything (deer, turkey, duck, skeet).
I'm trying to decide between the Remington 870 Express Trio, Benelli Nova and Winchester SXP.
All guns are around the same price.
I like that the 870 Trio comes with 3 barrels.
I like that the 870 is one of the most purchased guns of all time, but hear Remington isn't what it used to be.
I like the quality and warranty behind Benelli.
I hear the SXP's like to jam shells.

I'd love to hear any opinions you may have.

Thanks,
sgtMeowsteen
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Seeking shotgun advice

Post by smitty55 »

True, the 870 isn't built as well as it used to be, but I think you answered your own question. Your main criteria is versatility, and the Express Trio will give you that where the others wont. Just remember that whatever you buy, make sure to do a thorough cleaning of the factory grease etc and then relube as required.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
badbass72
Participant
Participant

Post by badbass72 »

I used to lean towards the Benelli as well but have seen and heard of jamming issues with them as well. The SXP's had some recalls this year and aren't what they used to be either. A friend of mine owns a store in Renfrew and on his advice and in store feeling I am going to be picking up an ATA pump on Thursday. The company is unknown to me but have been making all the shotguns for Beretta until now and are selling them under there own name. Shoots 3 1/2 inch and comes with 5 chokes for $500. If you want more info or are interested in seeing it after I pick it up shoot me a pm. Good luck with the search...lots of options out there.
Thanks to all my sponsors: Urban Ford, Urban Sport, Quick Lane Auto Care, Quantum, Strike King, Gourley's Outdoors, Goldwing Automotive, Amsoil, Canadian Tire Renfrew and Demonic Custom Tackle
sgtMeowsteen
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sgtMeowsteen »

badbass72 wrote:I used to lean towards the Benelli as well but have seen and heard of jamming issues with them as well. The SXP's had some recalls this year and aren't what they used to be either. A friend of mine owns a store in Renfrew and on his advice and in store feeling I am going to be picking up an ATA pump on Thursday. The company is unknown to me but have been making all the shotguns for Beretta until now and are selling them under there own name. Shoots 3 1/2 inch and comes with 5 chokes for $500. If you want more info or are interested in seeing it after I pick it up shoot me a pm. Good luck with the search...lots of options out there.
I wouldn't mind hearing more about that ATA you're going to pick up.
Do you have a link with more details?

I was at Sail today and they have next to no stock unless you want an SXP or a BPS, and won't get anything else until next year.
As of right now I've decided to dish out the extra cash for the Benelli SuperNova.
Calling a couple places tomorrow to see if I can find it locally before I order it from Cabelas.
badbass72
Participant
Participant

Post by badbass72 »

I'm not sure how much I can post without violating the rules for advertising but here is a link to the manufacturers website. I will post pictures of the gun Thurs. If there is anything else I can send more info by email or pm.
http://www.ataarms.com/en/index.php
Attachments
20150911_102835.jpg
20150911_102835.jpg (377.04 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
Thanks to all my sponsors: Urban Ford, Urban Sport, Quick Lane Auto Care, Quantum, Strike King, Gourley's Outdoors, Goldwing Automotive, Amsoil, Canadian Tire Renfrew and Demonic Custom Tackle
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

If I were buying a new pump right now it would be an 870 hands down.
And this is coming from a guy who normally likes fancy guns :lol:

My first was an 870 and I have another now as well. They always perform.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I love my 870, easiest pump shotgun to take apart to clean up and put back together. I purchased a deerbarrel for it years ago , nicest little swamp gun you can ask for. A friend of mine put a Reddot scope on his and he loves it. For the price you can't go wrong.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

bradford2 wrote:If I were buying a new pump right now it would be an 870 hands down.
And this is coming from a guy who normally likes fancy guns :lol:

My first was an 870 and I have another now as well. They always perform.
I will second that, always a performer nothing fancy but gets the job done.
sgtMeowsteen
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sgtMeowsteen »

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I spent some more time today handling the 870 and the SuperNova trying to decide.
I ended up buying the SuperNova.
Despite being heavier, I liked the feel better than the 870.
This combine with the 10 year warranty and 3 chokes out of the box seemed like the right way to go.

I should have a gun that will not only introduce me to hunting/shooting, but should last me for years to come.
Now to break it in!

Regards,
sgtMeowsteen
Bigcvin
Participant
Participant

Post by Bigcvin »

Great choice! I had a newer 870 Express and it was garbage. Jammed even with good ammo. The finish on the gun was terrible, but thats what you get for going cheap.

I stepped up to the Supernova, beautiful gun, hasn't jammed on me once, even blasting 75 clays in a row in -10 weather.
TMH
Participant
Participant

Post by TMH »

Great choice, new production 870's are garbage, so many times I pulled the trigger just to hear a click. Didn't matter what ammo I used, waterfowl loads, sabot slugs 1 out of 5 shots wouldn't go off, even had the local gunsmith look at it and even he couldn't figure it out.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

This is good info to know. My two 870s are 20ish and 5ish years old and haven't had any problems. Like anything else I guess, they probably don't make em like they used to.... sounds like you made a good choice!
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

bradford2 wrote:This is good info to know. My two 870s are 20ish and 5ish years old and haven't had any problems. Like anything else I guess, they probably don't make em like they used to.... sounds like you made a good choice!
Yeah not sure why people hating on the 870 mine has no problems
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

I bought an 870 Express Trio a few years ago. One barrel jammed after every shot. The gun has a three year warranty. Sent it to the Remington Warranty Center in Quebec. Couldn't believe how fast it was returned. All three barrels re-chambered and twenty rounds test fired through each barrel. No problems since. Nice thing about 870's is you can get parts just about anywhere.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

Give the Mossberg 535 a look. Pretty sure you can get the 3 barrel option for it. A few local stores have them. I`ve only owned Mossberg 12 GA`s and I`ve never had any issues with them. Also, it`s within the price range of the others mentioned.