Torges Tree Seat

Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Torges Tree Seat

Post by Out4trout »

This year during rifle season, I am stand hunting the first 4 days, during which the deer will undoubtedly head to the water to avoid both dogs and hunters. I will then be still hunting a huge expanse of flooded timber, and there is no flat ground. Every tree in the water is a root hummock, so I needed a seat that would mount on a tree.

Googling, I found the Torges tree seat idea. I had to make one, especially this season for the flooded timber. I found over the years that carrying a folding chair is awkward, when hiking miles back in the woods.

Originally designed by Dean Torges, this tree seat simply cantilevers against the tree trunk. The only attachment is the rope itself. I did make a few modifications to the original design, in the way the rope secures. I used two holes for an infinite knot-less tie, rather than a keyhole. I also added metal toothed grabs on the back to grip the tree better. Mine is made from Ash wood, and weighs only 3lb.

I have tested it several times during bow season when the wind was wrong for my hang on stands. It is actually rather comfortable, you simply lean back against tree trunk, which helps break up the human outline and provides a steady shooting platform. The seat carries flat in my pack, which is much more convenient than carrying a chair.

The rope is 3/8" polypropylene, which has very low stretch, and can be used also for dragging a deer out (I left it long enough for this purpose). With a gun, I can rotate myself and shoot 360 degrees from the seat and it is totally noise free. And if the wind shifts, it's a simple 2 minute flip and remount on the other side of the trail...

Easy to make, low cost, low weight and works fantastic. I am happy how it turned out and highly recommend the Torges Seat.

My Torges Seat

Two hole cinch is knotless

Wrapped for Travel
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Torges Tree Seat

Post by smitty55 »

Great idea Len. Never heard the name before. A little extra flat foam cushion would be light and make for a happy butt come winter. With your feet on the ground it sure gives you lots of options too if you need to get off it quick for a better shot. Good to see it's working out for you. That two hole cinch is right on. Tks for sharing.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I like that idea! Might have to steal this design!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Here's a link. It seems hole position is fairly critical. http://www.bowyersedge.com/treeseat.html

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Yup That's the link I nicked the seat idea from Smitty. I used it again last night bowhunting (had 1 deer come through but not a shooter) The seat is totally quiet. I'm really liking the mobility.

Hole placement - Approx 2" ahead of mid-point worked for me.

Here are a few more pics of the tree grabs I added, the two hole cinch and rough dimensioning for hole placement.

Serrated Tree Grab

Two Hole Rope Cinch detail

Hole Distance
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Very cool.
Added to the list of winter projects.