2015 Deer season - Rut reports

C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: 2015 Deer season - Rut reports

Post by C5 »

congrats to Birdie, Smitty nice write-up on the rut... cool to see an extensive review of the literature... thanks!

Ron
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Didn't see any rut signs until Nov 9. Saw only does while hunting, and trail cams showed bucks going to my spots between 8 and 1130 at night. Hopefully one will trip up and pay a visit during the day.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Been slow slow slow. Looking forward to some cold weather and some snow. If it ever gets here haha.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Two deer hanging after 3 days hunting in our group last week. Good start but slowed as the week progressed.
I had 3 deer within 60 yards solo hunting one afternoon this week, but no headgear on them so safety stayed on.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

14 men and 1 13 year old apprentice through the camp over the two week rifle hunt
6 bucks and 2 does on the meat pole
Smallest buck a 3 pointer and the largest being a thick 12 pointer.
Highlight of the hunt was teaching / observing / coaching the apprentice to field dress a deer. He made the usuall begingers slip and cut the stomache, after puking up his breakfast, he soldiered on and completed the job. The rest of the week, he was disappointed if he didn't get in on field dressing a fresh kill.

While everyone was no successful in the group, a couple didn't see any deer and one lad shot the only deer he seen on the last Saturday of the hunt. Myself I seen over 30 deer and hammered an 8 pointer at 20 yard with the dogs catching up about 30 seconds later.

Already looking forward to our mid December bow hunt to see if we can get a migration monster.

Not a lot of scrapes or rubs seen, terrible year for oak nuts for us as well
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

No doe tags = no deer we seen 8 doe's for our group of 3. Not one buck on the trail cam, did have a big black bear and would love to get him biggest one I've seen on can going buy his back and tree next to him he's about 4 feet to the top of his back
flewdoggII
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdoggII »

My group of four got skunked out near Toledo. Deer were feeding at night and the warm weather and rain didn't help. They were bedded down and couldn't get them to move even with the dogs. Going to have to hope for more luck with the black powder.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Sorry for the delay in writing back, no access while I was hunting - Plus a few days to settle back into reality :) Smitty, great write up on the Rut. Thanks for taking the time to post the info. Thanks to all who took the time to post reports of what they were observing. The rut really turned on towards the end of the 2nd week in our area, pretty much within a day or two of what Smitty posted - Nice call lad :) - Sorry I forgot the name of the poster who asked where we were in 64A - South of Ashton, west side of Ashton station road. Not to far from where from where you were hunting.

I was luckey enough to take this buck opening morning, 15 minutes into the season!!! I had a pretty small window to squeeze the shot through, but it hit home! :)

(Not sure why theres a duplicate picture 3 attachments 4 pics.....)
7 pts
7 pts
1446475748988.jpg (56.55 KiB) Viewed 5140 times
That was the only deer I saw this season. My two partners saw lots of does but no tags.... On Fri I check a trail cam and we see this:
1447363889139.jpg
1447363889139.jpg (14.65 KiB) Viewed 5140 times
7 pts
7 pts
1446475748988.jpg (56.55 KiB) Viewed 5140 times

Needless to say we spent every minute we could in our stands. One of the lads bumped him on the way into his stand (5 min before legal) Nice buck!!! Im tagged out but my buddy is going to further pursue him with a bow. - No doubt!!!
Attachments
1447363893662.jpg
1447363893662.jpg (15.92 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Way to go Tim. Nothing like the satisfaction of filling your tag opening day. That's a nice fork horn there.
That looks like a dandy ten you guys have hanging around. Not sure if you bow hunt but you could still party hunt for it with your bud. Good luck

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Good hunting folks. Always enjoy reading about the adventures in the bush! Congrats to those that have punched a tag.
kingb_44
Participant
Participant

Post by kingb_44 »

RJ Congrats to Birdie. Is fresh deer bologna in the future?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

kingb_44 wrote:RJ Congrats to Birdie. Is fresh deer bologna in the future?
Some Pepperoni for sure, likely some of that bologna too!

RJ