Tree Rat Classic 2016

Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Tree Rat Classic 2016

Post by Markus »

Youth involvent with hunting and the outdoors is very important to our crew and we spend a lot of time through the year and seasons mentoring kids. Beyond that, we started hosting 1 day each year thats 100% for the kids. We organize a competitve, fun squirrel hunt for them at our camp. We get a bunh of teams that consist of an adult licensed mentor hunter and at least one youth under the age of 12. Teams hunt for 3 hours and then we weigh in a 2 squirrel bag and give out the camp trophy and a prize. We also do a target shooting competition for another prize and there's a bonfire, lots of wild game meat treats, refreshments and a social. A few kids spent the night and put out some bunny snares.

Off to find some squirrells.

Back for the wegh in.

Our 2016 Champs

Target Shooting

Weiner roasters

Camp yard was buzzing all day.

Our 2016 group of young hunters.

The kids that spent the night enjoyed finding some bunnies in thier snares the next morning.

Two of the young participants are also trappers and they were thrilled to take all the squirrells home to prep their pelts and send them to the spring NAFA auction.

We had a great turnout, fantastic weather and we're looking forward to doing it again next year.
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Tree Rat Classic 2016

Post by C5 »

very cool!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

That's excellent stuff you do there for the kids Markus. I'm sure the adults get a lot out of it too. Camp Hell bear comes through again.
Sure wish we could snare bunnies around here. I don't understand the reasoning in rural areas.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Awesome!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

Great work Markus .. sure beats playing video games!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Awesome Markus. Thanks for sharing this here. It's days like this that those kids will never forget. Wish I had some hunting type stuff from mine or FH's supporters to pass along! I'll see what I can come up with for next year!

RJ
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Fantastic!
http://www.mepps.com/programs/squirrel-tail/
I doubt they can be sent in from Canada, but it gives a good idea of uses. Get a couple fly tying vises and put the kids to work!
We can't shoot red squirrels in Ontario with a hunting license, but the rest are fair game... of course they only seem to be around when deer hunting :roll: :lol:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Banjo, 2 years ago we had a fly tier attend this event and he tied fly's from the squirrel tails for all the kids. Some even caught some fish the following spring with them.