Cecil the Lion - How things change

Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Cecil the Lion - How things change

Post by Maple »

In todays paper is news that Zimbabwe officials are going to cull 200 lions because not enough big game hunters are taking them.

Funny how things get out of hand.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world ... aying-home
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Cecil the Lion - How things change

Post by smitty55 »

Go figure. Maybe they should name all those 200 lions too so it will give all those clueless idiots something more to whine about.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

I know I'll get flamed for this. Especially since I dare disagree with the almighty Smitty :lol:

But with the lion being on the endangered list at the 'vunerable' stage, I wish all the hot heads that are opposed to trophy hunting and have the money to make a change, would do something about it.

There has to be a way to do something more constructive with a surplus of a species that is low in numbers on this planet other than to kill them off.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Yes

They suggested long ago introducing lions to the prairie areas of North America.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ark_2.html

They even considered introducing Tigers into BC as the climate and terrain in Siberia is similar.

Has it been done? No.
Should it? Maybe.
Something needed to be done? Yes.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

After reading that article I have to wonder if they actually thought of what the consequences' could be all at the expanse of restoring north America to what it was 13,000 years ago. Should humans also go back to living in caves? Maybe there was elephants here 13,000 years ago, but over that time farming has evolved just a little and is a big part of our economy. Society relies on farmers so we can eat. I would also imagine people hunted and gathered a lot of their food, probably even killed something to eat. Imagine what a half dozens elephants would do to a soybean field in a day? They each eat about 500lbs of food a day and what ever they didn't eat would be trampled. I also don't think there were many kids out waiting for school buses of playing in rural school yards 13,000 years ago ( I may be wrong). Could you imagine letting your kids outside with tigers and lions kicking around? Imagine how many tourists would get picked off out in B.C. while they are skiing or hiking? Mountain lions are one thing tigers are another, its a well known fact tigers from time to time terrorize villages over there now. Yes it is nice to think of the world as fuzzy and cute but things aren't always as idealistic as some would like. There is usually consequences to every action.

Just to be clear I am in full support of keeping healthy populations of our animals but there is usually two sides to every story and sadly we only get to hear what the politically correct version is.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

orrsey wrote: Just to be clear I am in full support of keeping healthy populations of our animals but there is usually two sides to every story and sadly we only get to hear what the politically correct version is.
:greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clappingyellow: Well said.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
joepile
Participant
Participant

Post by joepile »

If its not food then it shouldn't be hunted.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

joepile wrote:If its not food then it shouldn't be hunted.
Really? Does that also apply to predators like Coyote and Wolf? I guess then you don't believe in trapping either. Or the fact that the MNR is loosening up coyote and wolf hunting in northern Ontario in an effort to help revive sagging moose populations. How about what the overpopulation of wolves is doing to the elk population in some areas of the States.
The fact is that predator populations need to be managed, and the best way to do that is by hunting. In some areas of Africa hunting is big business that adds much needed moneys in to the economy. Also most if not all of the meat from trophy hunting is donated to local people, so it's not going to waste.

Personally, I don't hunt anything that I won't eat, although I wouldn't mind coyote hunting. But the term "trophy hunting" is often misused and misunderstood by the non-hunting portion of our society. The way I look at it, if it's legal, then who are we to condemn someone who is willing to pay up to $20,000 for a hunting adventure.

The thing is, lion hunting has been going on forever, and if this one cat hadn't been named, the Cecil Effect would never have happened. The antis are well funded and are always looking to jump on peoples rights when it doesn't agree with their own often misguided beliefs that have no basis in facts.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

Cecil schmecil. Let's go fishing. I wonder what lion meat tastes like
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

I wouldn't trust Conrad Black's wet rag of a newspaper to give me the time of day.

There's also nothing in that article that justifies the killing of a visibly collared research lion outside of legal hunting territory by a guy known to be a repeat poacher. There's a reason Zimbabwe requested that loser's extradition...
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

I wonder who managed nature for the 200 million years before man showed up
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

No one.

Without management, many animals would be extinct today. Hunting isnt the biggest threat to them, our over population on the earth is. Without a value placed on african animals, the majority of them would have been extinct long ago. A lot of "westerners" dont get it because we've been blinded and influenced by anti hunting movements. We've become so disconected to our heritage and roots, we're forgeting where we come from and what we are. Like it or not, humans are predators and we need to manage that for the sake of the wildlife on this over populated planet.
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

These animals need pertection cause we have messed up their habitat and hunted them to near extinction ... And isn't it typical of man that now we think we can fix it
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Let’s not stray away from the actual legalities surrounding “Cecil”.
The lion has been shot, and beheaded, in an area without quota for lion kills.
It’s my understanding the land owner has been charged, and there’s still an ongoing court battle in regards to the guide.

I guess I’m one of those said “clueless idiots”.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

[quote=I guess I’m one of those said “clueless idiots”.[/quote]

Mav, the clueless idiots, specially the uninformed antis, I was referring to were all those people who saw one sensational headline and started freaking out over a cute lion and trophy hunting in general, and then talked about boycotting airlines and all the rest of the over hyping of the situation. After a while many of the airlines regained their senses and decided that blocking legal hunters from traveling wasn't too good for business. Hunting dollars in Zimbabwe are a huge business and directly contribute to the management of all game species and to the control of poaching, which is a huge problem in some parts of Africa where the finances for law enforcement aren't available. Now if that dentist actually broke laws by shooting Cecil then I have no problem with him being prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but to lump all other hunters in the same boat as him is totally wrong and based more on emotion than common sense.
But hey, if you want to include yourself in with that crowd, go ahead, who am I to argue lol. :wink:

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter